BigBrownGirl
A
thread 1/31
👋, * #LupusAwarenessMonth 'idly*

If all goes to the non-existent plan (watch this # space) you're gonna learn something you didn't #Lupus know April 30th

1) We don't need to boost our immune system, it's on overdrive *that's* the prob. Doin the immune sys most is how the health harm happens.
06:46 PM - May 01, 2023
BigBrownGirl
A
thread 2/31
🪴🌷 #LupusAwarenessMonth is also traditionally Get Your Hands In Dirt Month

Unless, of course, you’re #immunosuppressed / #Immunocompromised as most peeps w/ lupus are as a result of the live saving meds taken to, ya know, stay tf alive, who require several extra flower ‘n plant based precautions
09:32 PM - May 03, 2023
BigBrownGirl
A
thread 3/31
05:50 AM - May 04, 2023
BigBrownGirl
A
thread 4/31
Today’s #LupusAwarenessMonth learnin? Maybe ur familiar w/ a lil obscure true, ‘Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds’? Onetime famous foursome member, John Lennon wrote the song about a girl named (spoiler) Lucy. She was a schoolmate of his son, Julian. Lucy had lupus & died. Gone but clearly not forgotten
11:13 AM - May 04, 2023
BigBrownGirl
A
thread 5/31
63% of Americans surveyed are wholly unfamiliar with lupus, so congratulations on leaving that stat, 👍🏽 Knowin that it *exists* annnnnnndd that there are different types? That makes ya top tier aware. Not too Spoutible shabby, ⭐️ #LupusAwarenessMonth
11:32 AM - May 05, 2023
BigBrownGirl
A
thread 6/31
'Clothes cleaning machine' was what I said when 'washer' wouldn't' come. A normal brain-y blurp? 🧐Or? #LupusFog ? 20-50% of the Loopmmunity experience the term for concentration and memory probs, confusion & difficulty expressing yo'self that can be worsened by flares 🧠 #LupusAwarenessMonth
01:01 PM - May 06, 2023
BigBrownGirl
A
thread 7/31
Both 🌞 annnndd💡 are pretty damn dangerous to about 1 million Americans livin the lupus lifestyle. #LupusAwarenessMonth #ThisIsLupus
12:25 PM - May 07, 2023
BigBrownGirl
A
thread 8/31
Fact: People with #Lupus are NOT vampires.

But we are #VampireAdjacent .

In addition to being overly sensitive to light (👀 #LupusAwarenessMonth number 7) we're recommended (by Johns Hopkins) to 'conscientiously avoid' garlic usage. #YourNeckIsSafe
08:42 AM - May 08, 2023
BigBrownGirl
A
thread 9/31
- On avg it takes 4 yrs to be diagnosed hence it's med moniker, the great imitator
- Bodily betrayal biggies?🧠, lungs,💜, kidneys, joints, skin. But will perform fuckery on any internal sys (see: central nervous & digestive)
- Severity? Depending on person & day? Mild to deadly #LupusAwarenessMonth
09:34 PM - May 09, 2023
BigBrownGirl
A
thread 10/31
But? What's lupus like?
#LupusAwarenessMonth
07:58 AM - May 10, 2023
BigBrownGirl
A
thread 11/31
This mysterious word ‘flare’ gets tossed around, but if ya haven’t experienced it’s *Charlie Brown teacher talk*.

Context: broke my wrist whilst sportin & drove myself to the ER. In a stick whip. A flare? Had a day so painful I had to watch what was on v pushing remote button😬 #LupusAwarenessMonth
11:30 PM - May 11, 2023
BigBrownGirl
A
thread 12/31
Nausea is a common symptom. The byproduct of that is often weight loss. (PSA: 'u've lost weight' ain't always, great, Healthies) A side effect of many of the meds used to treat lupus is (1 guess)...🥁,🥁,🥁...nausea. + Steroids can cause a food rampage/queasy stomach standoff. #LupusAwarenessMonth
03:54 PM - May 12, 2023
BigBrownGirl
A
thread 13/31
Of people with Lupus:

5 of 10 will have kidney involvement (kids w/ the Loop? 80%😭)

10-30% will, like our most famous lupus-er, Selena Gomez, require a kidney transplant

The life span of a donated kidney is 8-12 years, while an organ from a life donor will last 20-23 years
#LupusAwarenessMonth
10:14 PM - May 18, 2023
BigBrownGirl
A
thread 14/31
MOST ppl don’t get enough Zzzz’s. Which is why on the surface *not getting a good night’s sleep* seems tres Complainy Jane-esque. But imagine everything u’ve ever heard about insomnia + (joints so painful the sheets hurt them, or mouthwatering nausea, or pain on every inhale) #LupusAwarenessMonth
12:24 AM - May 19, 2023 (Edited)
BigBrownGirl
A
thread 15/31
Traditionally, one of the more taboo #Lupus topics is one of its more universal symptoms, HAIR LOSS. As w/ everyfuckinthing lupus associated, ones own experience may run the gamut from barely noticeable to takin up residency in Wigville (for those so inLupusclined) #LupusAwarenessMonth
09:28 AM - May 19, 2023
BigBrownGirl
A
thread 16/31
Couture created w/ empty pill packs of *ONE of the meds* Rx’d to a lupus patient over 2.5 yrs (📸Royal College of General Practitioners)

TMI-y context? I’ll take a minimum of 6,500💊s this yr (NOT vitamin supplements, or Tylenol, etc just don’t-let-lupus-not-redrum-me-rn- meds) #LupusAwarenessMonth
11:12 AM - May 19, 2023
BigBrownGirl
A
thread 17/31
Q: Is there anything Lupus won’t fuck w/?
A: No

It’s a peeper havoc wreaker. Dry eye, retinal vasculitis, scleritis & optic neuritis (aka: ‘vision can be decreased or lost’, ‘causes pain’ & blurry vision’, & ‘causes optic nerve to atrophy’.

+ a go-to💊 can destroy macula #LupusAwarenessMonth
08:50 PM - May 20, 2023
BigBrownGirl
A
thread 18/31
Four of 10 Lupus live-rs will encounter💜difficulties. As a representative of the 4's, a fun way this has popped up for me was in the form of #PericardialEffusion a fun health romp where essentially lupus puts your heart in a full nelson holding it 'til you tag in cardiology #LupusAwarenessMonth
PERICARDIAL EFFUSION - YouTube

I really appreciate you watching this video. You are more than welcome to leave a comment or ask a question, I’ll do my best to get back to you. Make sure yo...

11:42 AM - May 21, 2023
BigBrownGirl
A
thread 19/31
Just a minorly comical tale of a girl, a lil plural & pericardial effusion, and hard time management, without shanking anyone. #LupusAwarenessMonth
09:04 PM - May 21, 2023
BigBrownGirl
A
thread 20/31
Listen, when your daily consists of:
-changing looks
-big weight swings (due to illness itself &💊s Rx’d for it a la steroids. ✊🏽, my fellow #MoonfaceMafia -ers)
-l o n g term pain coping
-abilities, $ & relationships wane
-efforts req’d to perform ‘normal’
…is it any wonder??
#LupusAwarenessMonth
09:15 PM - May 21, 2023
BigBrownGirl
A
thread 21/31
Depression is a health condition. It’s a very common one experienced by (yes, all people) but particularly those in the #Loopmmunity . It’s complicated af. Your Dr is already aware of this. If you ( or ur support system) are noticing signs TELL YOUR DOC #StayHereSpoutible #LupusAwarenessMonth
09:27 PM - May 21, 2023
BigBrownGirl
A
thread 22/31
Ppl w/ Lupus are at a📈risk for bone loss & breaks.🧐? Glucocorticoid meds trigger significant bone loss + Pain & fatigue from lupus results in inactivity (...leadin to📉mobility 'n stability) further upping osteoporosis risk. Bone loss may also occur as a direct result of lupus #LupusAwarenessMonth
09:07 AM - May 23, 2023
BigBrownGirl
A
thread 23/31
DYK on average it takes 6 YEARS to get diagnosed (read: begin treatment) w/ #Lupus ?

63% get misdiagnosed first (see, #TheGreatIntimitator )

To be dx’d one must reach a 10 point lupus litmus using American College of Rheumatology criteria:

#LupusAwarenessMonth #DoesItEqualSLE
09:23 AM - May 23, 2023
BigBrownGirl
A
thread 24/31
Money. Do you like it? Then DON'T get damn Lupus. It's estimated up to 1/2 of people living with it are unemployed.

On avg if you have lupus? You'll have 10-19 Drs appts/yr
-Ish 1/3 of patients are hospitalized 5-6 days/yr
(if working?) Avg sick days per month: 2.3
#LupusAwarenessMonth
08:01 AM - May 24, 2023
BigBrownGirl
A
thread 26/31
A few tips, tricks 'n best practices (imo) for those livin the lupus lifestyle:

#LupusAwarenessMonth
08:56 AM - May 26, 2023
BigBrownGirl
A
thread 27/31
#LupusAwarenessMonth There's no cure for Lupus. If luck, skilled medical oversight & a professional level of💊routine (+ a near complete avoidance of the extremely hard to determine✌overdoing it✌) converge it won't kill us rn.

Our position on the spectrum of life altering to deadly fluctuates but:
10:00 PM - May 28, 2023 (Edited)
BigBrownGirl
A
thread 28/31

Side note:✨this✨is why some 'feel better' type sentiments sometimes hit our ear (particularly from ppl w/ a closeness) as *I haven't bothered to understand the medical condition you're enduring the same general way I have MA, cancer, or the plague of Lego foot impalements* #LupusAwarenessMonth
10:03 PM - May 28, 2023
BigBrownGirl
A
thread 29/31
A thrill of livin w/ Lupus is how often one gets to play amateur medical detective to establish whether the symptom u're experiencing is simply a symptom of your condition --or-- a side effect of one of ur plethora o' stay alive pills. Also whether said symptom is nbd or💀'ly. #LupusAwarenessMonth
03:28 PM - May 29, 2023
BigBrownGirl
A
thread 30/31
This is a great explainer. #LupusAwarenessMonth
What Exactly is Lupus? - YouTube

Our immune system is an incredible thing. It’s a complex, disease-fighting machine, capable of fending off attacks from bacteria and viruses. But what happen...

08:55 PM - May 30, 2023
BigBrownGirl
A
thread 31/31
Here's an extra nerdy version next bc I know I wasn't the only 10 y/o joy readin the PDR 'n Merrick:
#LupusAwarenessMonth #SLE #medspout #Lupus #WaitTilEyeTellYaBoutMySplenicInfarct
Systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) - causes, symptoms, diagnosis & pathology - YouTube

What is systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE)? SLE's an autoimmune disease that can affect any tissue or organ in the body, but most often affects the skin, kid...

09:00 PM - May 30, 2023
Susan Simon
A
In response to BigBrownGirl.
Learned a lot. Thanks for posting.
11:31 AM - May 19, 2023
BigBrownGirl
A
In response to Susan Simon.
Thank you for doing the *findin out* part!
09:24 PM - May 19, 2023
{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}