David James
A
Going to be interesting to see what the results on this are.

If you could go back in time and destroy the very first Bible, would you?

Hell yes!

Maybe…

No, we need it

134 votes — 09:43 AM - May 07, 2023
C. Shuy (she/they)
A
In response to David James.
no, not because we need it but because someone would have written something similar anyway - like, say, the books of other major religions.
03:06 PM - Jun 03, 2023
Irminsul Harp
A
This spout was removed because the account associated with it was suspended.
02:19 PM - Jun 03, 2023
Rose Shasteen
A
No.
1. It’s a book. Don’t destroy books.
2. It’s a historical document. See #1 . Sentence 2.
3. Tolerance.
03:51 PM - May 31, 2023
David James
A
In response to Rose Shasteen.
But religion, and especially misinterpretation of the Bible to suit one’s own agenda, is the cause of more wars, since it was written than many other things.
09:15 PM - May 31, 2023
Ellen Leigh
A
The very first Bible does not exist any more, and that is the biggest problem. Men have interpreted, misinterpreted, made errors in copying, edited the words to add or subtract or change, and what we have is bastardized now. The Word of God? Nope. Just men.
02:58 PM - May 31, 2023
Brenda Brown-Paul
A
The first Christian Bible was not European, was not used to subjugate, and was quite different from what we ended up with. Nope, would not destroy that. The Ethiopian Bible is the closest we can get to it. If you are talking about the Hebrew scrolls, no. The King James? Now your question is tempting
08:44 AM - May 22, 2023
Eric Primus
A
Nope. I am not a Christian, but I have no problem with people who are, only the ones that use it to justify harming others or think it should be used to make laws, or force their beliefs on me. Has it done more damage than good to society in general? Maybe, but so have hundreds of other things.
09:00 PM - May 17, 2023
David James
A
In response to Eric Primus.
I am no longer a Christian, I consider myself an atheist, I was brought up in the Christian faith in as much as my godfather was a vicar and we had to attend Sunday school and church. I have no problem with anybody’s religion unless they try to force it on me or use it to justify their actions.
09:03 PM - May 17, 2023
David James
A
In response to Eric Primus.
But that is the problem, writing down anything that leaves it open to interpretation by those who will pervert it to their own means. The Quran is misinterpreted to the exact same ends, to justify the violence and extermination of others.
09:05 PM - May 17, 2023
WeeWillian Wylie
A
destroying the first Bible would have no effect...by the time the first Bible was written down the core of its tenets were codified... Now if I could go back in time and show Jesus what all this leads to...that might have made a difference...
08:41 PM - May 17, 2023
David James
A
In response to WeeWillian Wylie.
If, indeed he actually existed, and is not merely a totem.
08:44 PM - May 17, 2023
eTrix☮️❤️?
A
I’m an atheist but I wouldn’t destroy a book of something I didn’t believe in. The problem is unscrupulous manipulation.
I’d rather go back in time and demand critical thinking had more of a place in school.
08:25 PM - May 17, 2023
Thistlebloom Farm
A
Can't answer honestly using those choices, so:
Probably not. I'd like to compare it to the current editions and see how much human beings have altered/embellished/perverted/bowdlerized our creation stories over the millennia.

(Yes, I'm THAT nerd.)
08:12 PM - May 17, 2023
David James
A
In response to Thistlebloom Farm.
It’s a very hypothetical question, but I am talking about the very first bound bunch of stories, because if they had never been published, nobody could have altered or embellished them.
08:14 PM - May 17, 2023
Carla Reid + Chilla
A
I most certainly would.
12:02 PM - May 12, 2023
Diane Turner
A
Burn it to a cinder.
07:48 AM - May 10, 2023
Dan Ehrenkrantz
A
Book burning / banning ? Nah.

Also, the Bible is a collection of books. By the time the individual books are being placed into the collection, some of them have been around for a few hundred years. Getting rid of “the first Bible” doesn’t really make sense.
08:42 PM - May 07, 2023
David James
A
In response to Dan Ehrenkrantz.
Rant over.
10:22 PM - May 07, 2023
Sue Paz
A
In response to Dan Ehrenkrantz.
So, "getting rid of the Bible" is somehow similar to "the Bible". It doesn't really make sense.

(I do believe that personal beliefs make sense, everyone has personal beliefs.)
08:11 AM - May 10, 2023
stephanie roberts
A
it would be pointless, men would have created something else. the human mind is the problem.

My dog died and it started to rain. Maybe killing dogs makes it rain? Before you know it, thou shalt kill two dogs at the solstice...
11:47 AM - May 07, 2023

Only followers of this user (beec4240) can see their posts

David James
A
In response to aaron.
Aaron, I totally get where you’re coming from and I agree, but would you also not agree that the Bible was the beginning in so many peoples eyes?
09:47 AM - May 07, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}