Kat Among Pigeons
A
thread 1/2
I listened to a podcast with Ross Douthat (yeah, I know) last night and the "reasonable" conservative line seems to be "yeah, this is unseemly, but there is no evidence that it influenced his decisions" and
A) I don't think that is 100%

AND 1/3 #InjusticeThomas #Corruption #CorruptSCOTUS
06:00 PM - May 12, 2023 (Edited)
Kat Among Pigeons
A
thread 2/2
I am so furious that SCOTUS and the GOP have moved the window on this so that is has to be an explicit tit-for-tat to be "corrupt".

It is reasonable to expect people to make sacrifices of luxury travel, $100Ks gifts, etc. if they want to serve in the federal judiciary.

3/3
06:06 PM - May 12, 2023
Kat Among Pigeons
A
In response to Kat Among Pigeons.
B) The bar is so much lower than quid pro quo: "A judge should neither lend the prestige of the judicial office to advance the private interests of the judge or others nor convey or permit others to convey the impression that they are in a special position to influence the judge"

2/3
06:03 PM - May 12, 2023
Kat Among Pigeons
A
thread 1/2
I am so furious that SCOTUS and the GOP have moved the window on this so that is has to be an explicit tit-for-tat to be "corrupt".

It is reasonable to expect people to make sacrifices of luxury travel, $100Ks gifts, etc. if they want to serve in the federal judiciary.

3/3
06:06 PM - May 12, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}