RobPalmerIRL (he/him/his)
A
thread 1/10
Folks there's a reason why more an more young people are turning way from religion, and why more and more people are deciding that they do not need a building, or a group for their spirituality. It's the American Evangelicals that have turned people away.
12:56 PM - May 16, 2023
A
thread 2/10
This isn't a slam on religions, however the behavior of major religious institutions that are too big to ignore, and too costly to ignore. Let's go through the history of how the church has wormed its way into the GOP, and lost their influence.
12:58 PM - May 16, 2023
A
thread 3/10
A good number of people (about 32%) have turned away religion and is rising. It's still 66% who go to church and is falling. However there are reasons why there are people turning away the church in big numbers.
01:01 PM - May 16, 2023
A
thread 4/10
First, and foremost there have been news stories of "holy" people of the cloth whom got caught in abusing children, vulnerable populations when they have taken a hardliner stance against sexuality and such.
01:03 PM - May 16, 2023
A
thread 5/10
Secondly, there are way too many whom are telling people to vote for a certain (Republcian) candidate or a certain issue from the pulpit. Electioneering and telling people how to vote from the sanctuary is against the separation of church and state.
01:04 PM - May 16, 2023
A
thread 6/10
Also keep in mind that these activities are barred by the Johnson Amendment which seeks to make sure that churches stay out of state affairs. Also groups like the American Family Association have decided they can get more protection as a church.
01:05 PM - May 16, 2023
A
thread 7/10
Third, the churches engage homophobia/transphobia. I know there are institutions that are LGBTQ affirming/friendly, they're few and far between compared to the Southern Baptist Convention, the Catholic Church, etc.
01:07 PM - May 16, 2023
A
thread 8/10
Also there are some churches that are systemically racist, and don't like interracial marriage, and will be openly evil speaking that thought.
01:08 PM - May 16, 2023
A
thread 9/10
What can churches do in general to save themselves? It's simple, they need to push the extremists out of their power for good, as well as the prosperity pimps, and other ne'er do wells.
01:09 PM - May 16, 2023
A
thread 10/10
Churches and religion in general is supposed to be a spiritual healing, as well as good news. If you belong to a church preaching against people in the name of God...that's their own hate, and you should leave to find something better.
01:10 PM - May 16, 2023
Melissa
A
In response to RobPalmerIRL (he/him/his).
I'm sorry it took until I was in my 30's to find the Unitarian Universalist Congregation in my community. It is everything a church should be, no creed you have to believe in - each person supported on their spiritual journey.
05:39 PM - May 16, 2023
Becca M-F
A
I know an older relative completely turned off by the Catholic Church because of all the reports of sexual abuse. He said he couldn’t take guidance from hypocrites.
04:59 PM - May 16, 2023
Nana of the Shire
A
Absolutely true. Their misinterpretation of scripture has exposed their hypocrisy. No young people want to be involved in something built on self serving llies.
12:58 PM - May 16, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}