Birgit Umaigba
A
She served this hospital as a nurse for 20 years. When she became a patient, she experienced anti-Black racism. Not even her years of service counted for something, all because of her skin color. Her name is Connie Scott, a 79yo Black woman. I believe her. This story is so sad 💔
10:42 PM - May 17, 2023
Deb Prothero
A
In response to Birgit Umaigba.
Filing a complaint with hospital is going to do little to nothing because it will go from one desk to another and no one will want to deal with it internally. I believe they need to prepare an Ontario Human Rights complaint and demand change. It's 2023 and long past time health care sorted itself.
03:58 PM - May 18, 2023
Torchy Windrush Brown
A
My mum was a nurse too and she knew the deal abot racism in medicine.. When she was diagnosed with cancer, she checked herself out of the local hospital and figured out a way to get admitted to Slone Kettering. She was able to go into remission and have several good years before she passed.
03:56 PM - May 18, 2023 (Edited)

Only followers of this user (MaryPocrnic) can see their posts

Linda Eisenstein
A
Sadly this is pervasive in the US as well. BIPOC have way worse outcomes than WP. A certain kind of structural racism is baked in, where anyone non-white is less likely to be believed, checked on, & is pushed back at.
01:35 PM - May 18, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}