Tim Graf
A
@Pamela Apparently someone in the thread has me blocked, so I'll have to reply this way. I believe you're correct that the R's can block a temporary replacement, but if Ms. Feinstein were to resign or be otherwise unable to serve permanently, the D's could replace her regardless of R objections.
04:02 PM - May 18, 2023
Pamela
A
In response to Tim Graf.
Thanks for the reply.
Frankly it’s ridiculous that the Republicans are behaving this way. Pure power grab.
07:27 PM - May 18, 2023
Tim Graf
A
In response to Pamela.
I'm apparently wrong, unfortunately, and was corrected in the later replies to my spout above. Any replacement would apparently be subject to a vote of the full Senate, with likely a supermajority needed to approve.
07:49 PM - May 18, 2023 (Edited)
Doctor Michael
A
In response to Tim Graf.
Actually the full Senate has a vote and a say, although traditionally it has been a party decision.
05:44 PM - May 18, 2023
Tim Graf
A
In response to Doctor Michael.
I see. Thank you for the correction. I was thinking that even if it went to the full Senate, there would be a majority with the VP vote if necessary, but then I remembered Manchin and Sinema.🙄
05:57 PM - May 18, 2023
just alex
A
In response to Tim Graf.
The R’s have stated they would block *any* replacement for Feinstein on judiciary committee. You don’t have to take my word for it, look it up.
04:09 PM - May 18, 2023
Tim Graf
A
In response to just alex.
I did, and you could be right. The main mentions I could find were about their refusal to allow a temporary replacement, but I also looked up the procedures. It's not clear, really, since the actual Senate documentation says nothing about votes, but there are other references that say otherwise.
04:26 PM - May 18, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}