Laura Lawrie
A
thread 1/5
Here's the thing.¹ I'm starting to see a LOT of images sans #AltText once again.² So here is a Bijou Threadette³ with a how-to.⁴

1. It is a Very Important Thing.
2. This is a Not Good Thing.
3. I might just trademark this, hence the initial caps.
4. The "Why" is self-evident.
05:20 PM - May 23, 2023
Laura Lawrie
A
thread 2/5
When you add a photo to your post, you will see a box labeled "ALT TEXT" in the left-hand corner.⁵ Click on that, and a pop-up will appear.⁶ Add a description of the photo, click Save Changes, and then spout.⁷

5. See Fig. 1.
6. See Fig. 2.
7. See Figs. 3 and 4.
05:25 PM - May 23, 2023
Laura Lawrie
A
thread 3/5
Back in 2021, adhd_bri (on the bird site) did a wonderful comic about how to add alt text to images.⁸

8. I did spout this back in April, but for those of you who did not see that, I will spout it all again in its entirety.
05:26 PM - May 23, 2023
Laura Lawrie
A
thread 4/5
This comic is a fun and interesting way to explain how to write alt text.⁹

9. See Figs. 5 to 8.
05:31 PM - May 23, 2023
Laura Lawrie
A
thread 5/5
In conclusion, please take the barely extra few minutes to write some alt text for every image that you spout.¹⁰

10. It's also a friendly thing to write a description of GIFs. I usually put something like this: [GIF ID: A drawing of a bee and a flower by Susanne Lamb. The text is Please bee nice.]
05:35 PM - May 23, 2023
scribblegurl
A
In response Laura Lawrie to their Spout
I keep forgetting. I'm sorry.
05:18 PM - Nov 14, 2023
Just Judith'n'ALF #VotedYes
A
Hi Dr Laura. Do you think it is worth asking the #TeamSpoutible if they would authorise some trusted people to edit/fix some (even all) the NOT #CamelCase hashtags to make them #CamelCase ?
EDIT: I would be happy to help if thought trustworthy enough:)
11:11 PM - Oct 23, 2023 (Edited)
Laura Lawrie
A
In response to Just Judith'n'ALF #VotedYes.
It's certainly worth asking.¹

¹ I don't know if they can retroactively fix them, but I've noticed they're working properly now (as long as the Spoutan inputs the splashtag correctly).
11:13 PM - Oct 23, 2023
Luke Arnold
A
Thanks for the how-to! I just joined Spoutible and I will attempt to use alt text regularly. 🙏👍
09:50 AM - Sep 04, 2023
Tracy I
A
In response to Luke Arnold.
It was hard at first because I was so excited to just get my spout out there that I would forget. I still do sometimes and while you can edit to add detail to the spout, you can’t do the alt text. I was surprised that it became a habit pretty quickly.
12:13 PM - Jan 20, 2024
Harry's CaliGirl
A
Re: your #4 - The why is self-evident
I'm not familiar with Alt-Text, so I'm unaware of the usage. Is it like a meta tag for images to enable searches?
03:48 AM - Jul 23, 2023
Laura Lawrie
A
In response to Harry's CaliGirl.
Alt text enables screen-reading tools describe images to visually impaired readers.¹

1. It has other uses as well, but this is the main one.
04:34 AM - Jul 23, 2023
Susan Simon
A
Today I not only remembered to type in the alt text, I hid the answer to the puzzle there. The pic was for a #useful daily theme and I had a closeup of an old style hand crank egg beater. I identified it in the alt text. Just seemed a cool way to do it.
05:33 PM - May 23, 2023
Laura Lawrie
A
In response to Susan Simon.
Very cool indeed!¹

1. Quite nifty!
05:36 PM - May 23, 2023