Professor Kyle
A
thread 1/2
With much love to Canadian & European friends, sometimes I feel a sense of condescension toward the U.S. about "how bad things are" here re racism & bigotry. Please remember, those evils have no borders – they're equally strong anywhere & everywhere there are white people. Both historically & today.
12:37 PM - May 28, 2023
Professor Kyle
A
thread 2/2
And I'd list historical and current instances of white supremacist thinking in these regions to prove the point (maybe start with colonialism)...but if you're from there & they don't come to mind already, you need to take a deep look at your privilege and start learning.
12:53 PM - May 28, 2023
Just Judith'n'ALF #VotedYes
A
In response to Professor Kyle.
And Australia ... even more overt.
:(
06:07 PM - May 28, 2023
Professor Kyle
A
In response to Just Judith'n'ALF #VotedYes.
I wasn't going to say anything... 😆😪
But yeah, every colonizer & former colonial country dominated by white people fits the bill.
08:16 PM - May 28, 2023
PS Annie
A
Canadian here, and you're not wrong. The majority of us are sincerely pulling for our southern neighbors, but a lot of us fail to see how close we are to being in the same boat.
Also, many don't really understand the way gov't works in the US and can't appreciate the difference from Canada.
04:49 PM - May 28, 2023
Sideeye Slant 🎨
A
In response to PS Annie.
When I was younger, I cld never hv envisioned how bad things wld get here today. I am heart-broken & angry abt how much this country has back-slid so quickly. I used 2wonder how Germany ended up w/Hitler. Now I know.
08:52 PM - May 28, 2023
Janet aka April
A
I can only speak for myself but I am always pulling for you. My heart hurts when I read about what is happening to your country. We need you to be strong. You are correct, if we are not aware of our own history we are kidding ourselves. It should be a wake-up call to all of us. No complacency.
02:48 PM - May 28, 2023 (Edited)
Professor Kyle
A
In response to Janet aka April.
Thank you! – And I'm pulling for you as well (I also worry about bigot Doug Ford)
02:52 PM - May 28, 2023
Jack Mcgraw
A
100% true
02:33 PM - May 28, 2023
Honey and pepper and roses en déshabillé
A
People do like scapegoats. https://spoutible.com/thre...
01:12 PM - May 28, 2023
Pamela B'well
A
I mostly keep my mouth shut because we ARE a mess right now and because I value these international connections, but, yes, I see and feel that condescension, and I’m not sure I understand to what purpose it is delivered.
01:09 PM - May 28, 2023
Professor Kyle
A
In response to Pamela B'well.
Totally. To me it seems like a classic case of white fragility/denial – pointing fingers to deflect away from oneself. Much as "liberal" white northerners do to the south.
01:12 PM - May 28, 2023
{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}