Qasim Rashid
A
thread 1/7
I wish schools taught this.

Memorial Day began in 1865 when 10,000 formerly enslaved Black people & a few white missionaries honored fallen Union soldiers.

It was founded in memory of those who gave their life to end white supremacy terror, slavery, & human trafficking.

/1

#ThreadChallenge
09:51 PM - May 29, 2023
Qasim Rashid
A
thread 2/7
Here's what happened...

The formerly enslaved saw a mass grave of 260 Union soldiers, and refused to let that dishonor perpetuate. So they ensured each of them were given a proper burial.

Along with them were 3000 Black children who sang "John Brown's Body."

/2
09:52 PM - May 29, 2023 (Edited)
Qasim Rashid
A
thread 3/7
John Brown, of course, was the first American executed by the US Government for the crime of treason. He was convicted of treason for the "crime" of trying to free enslaved people.

The New York Tribune and The Charleston Courier both recorded this historical event for May 1, 1865.

/3
09:54 PM - May 29, 2023
Qasim Rashid
A
thread 4/7
In 1996, Yale American History Professor David Blight unearthed what was first known as "Decoration Day" while researching for his book on the Civil War

Historians believe that the largely white town of Charleston where this took place had no interest in remembering it. Hence it was forgotten😧

/4
09:57 PM - May 29, 2023
Qasim Rashid
A
thread 5/7
Here's a photo from that day. What a powerful testament of Black resilience and compassion in the face of the most horrific torture and abuse and enslavement imaginable.

Initially called 'Decoration Day' it was the precursor to Memorial Day -- where we remember and honor our fallen soldiers.

/5
10:00 PM - May 29, 2023
Qasim Rashid
A
thread 6/7
Professor Blight published his book in 2001, titled "Race and Reunion: The Civil War in American Memory."

It is a must read to understanding American Civil War history. And it isn't even banned (yet)!

You can check it out here: https://www.hup.harvard.ed...

/6
10:03 PM - May 29, 2023
Qasim Rashid
A
thread 7/7
In short—the Memorial Day we honor today exists b/c formerly enslaved Black people had the courage, the compassion, & the conviction to honor Union soldiers who gave the ultimate sacrifice to end the scourge of white supremacy terror in America.

Let us honor those heroes this day & every day♥️

7/7
10:06 PM - May 29, 2023
Lee Dawnwalker Baron
A
In response to Qasim Rashid.
Thanks for the history lesson. I remember hearing the name Decoration Day when I was a kid but never knew the origin story. Thanks for the book recommendation as well, which I will check out.🔎
12:10 PM - Feb 17, 2024
Gabe McGrath
A
In response to Qasim Rashid.
Wow, amazing thread.

As a GenXer in Australia, our history classes (just year 7 and 8 in highschool) didn't cover any American history. We were studying ancient Egypt, Greece, etc.

And even if we did U.S. history, I'd bet this wouldn't have gotten a mention.

Good luck with the challenge.
08:08 PM - Jun 05, 2023
anandalenalen
A
In response to Gabe McGrath.
Sadly, Gabe, we don't learn this in U.S. schools either.
04:57 PM - Jun 20, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}