A
thread 1/10
It's Tulsa Massacre Remembrance Day.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/...
07:50 AM - May 31, 2023
Cynthia Williams
A
thread 2/10
Ever wonder what exactly was destroyed in the Tulsa Massacre? The New York Times built a 3D model to show you the homes, businesses, and city facilities torched by white racists. Please take a look at the model (apologies for the paywall).
07:56 AM - May 31, 2023
Cynthia Williams
A
thread 3/10
Want to know more about how The New York Times built its 3D model of the Black portion of the Tulsa, Oklahoma community before its destruction?

Take a look here. (apologies for the paywall)
07:59 AM - May 31, 2023
Cynthia Williams
A
thread 4/10
Who were some Black entrepreneurs who built Tulsa, Oklahoma, into an economic powerhouse before white racists torched it?

Meet nine of them here from information shared on the History Channel.
08:06 AM - May 31, 2023
Cynthia Williams
A
thread 5/10
Have you ever wondered what attracted so many Black Americans to Tulsa, Oklahoma, after the end of slavery?

Black Americans heard the same message as White Americans, "Head West! There's freedom on the western frontier!".

Read about the wagon trains and Black migration to Tulsa here.
08:14 AM - May 31, 2023
Cynthia Williams
A
thread 6/10
How has the Tulsa, Oklahoma Massacre affected modern-day culture? HBO Max's top series, The Watchmen, provides an example.

The Watchmen hypothesized the way America would be different if there had been White Tulsa accountability and reparations to Black Tulsa's descendants.

Have you seen it?
08:23 AM - May 31, 2023
Cynthia Williams
A
thread 7/10
Could there be a way to identify the White racists who burned down Tulsa, Oklahoma?

Yes.

Google has a new artificial intelligence tool that is being used to identify the names of White lynchers from the same period.

It is now also possible to name the men who torched Tulsa. Do you want to try?
08:30 AM - May 31, 2023
Cynthia Williams
A
thread 8/10
There are now 35 states which have either made or are making it illegal to teach Black history like the Tulsa, Oklahoma Massacre.

My tweeting this #Spoutible thread could be considered an illegal act in some parts of the USA.

Your reading this thread and passing it along could also be illegal.
08:34 AM - May 31, 2023
Cynthia Williams
A
thread 9/10
I'll end this thread by suggesting that if you want to learn how Tulsa, Oklahoma's Black citizens, are still fighting to recover after 102 years of attempted destruction by their White neighbors, read this book.

This new book is getting accolades from the publishing world.

/end
08:39 AM - May 31, 2023
Cynthia Williams
A
thread 10/10
Bonus spout:

If you read the thread this far, here's a bonus for you. The oldest living Tulsa Massacre survivor has released her memoir about the event.

"Don't Bury My Story" is one woman's 109-year story about living in Black Tulsa before, during, and after the White racists' violent attack.
09:04 AM - May 31, 2023
André Ware
A
In response to Cynthia Williams.
"Thank you!" 👏🏾👏🏾👏🏾!!!
04:07 PM - May 31, 2023
Indigo
A
Excellent🧵. Thanks for sharing it. 👏🏾🙌🏾👍🏾🙏🏾🫶🏾 #BlackHistory
#BlackHistoryIsAmericanHistory
03:54 PM - May 31, 2023
Pete‘s iPad
A
This is a fantastic 🧵. I already knew some of it, but you really put together a comprehensive collection of information on the subject. Thank you for the effort. I will definitely bookmark the thread to read all of the linked articles/sites .
02:54 PM - May 31, 2023
Dan Alaniz
B
With the current environment in the country it seems that for every step we take forward on civil rights, we take half a step back. 102 years ago and the hatred and fear that sparked this massacre are still sadly evident in this country despite the facade of progress. Sad.
01:54 PM - May 31, 2023
William Turner
A
In response to Dan Alaniz.
This spout was removed because the account associated with it was suspended.
03:04 PM - May 31, 2023
Camara Reed she/her/we/us
A
Thank you. This is a wonderful thread - very informative. I’m going to order Victor Luckerson’s book and Queen Viola Fletcher’s and Ike Howard’s book from a Black owned book store. 👍🏾
12:41 PM - May 31, 2023
Pete‘s iPad
A
In response to Camara Reed she/her/we/us.
It's really a good thread. A wealth of knowledge on the subject, learned a lot of new things.
03:06 PM - May 31, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}