Shogan and the Star Wars Cats
A
thread 1/8
I’m pretty much a private person and have been debating doing this #ThreadChallenge for a bit bit since it’s PrideEve, I’ll tell you how Drag Queens saved my child”s life.
09:05 PM - May 31, 2023
A
thread 2/8
My child was born female but identifies as non-binary. In her late teens she developed a severe anxiety and panic disorder. It was debilitating, with days where she could barely get out of bed or function. Her social life became non-existent.
09:14 PM - May 31, 2023
A
thread 3/8
She didn’t want to be this way but couldn’t control it. And as her Mom this wasn’t something I could just kiss and make better either. It was heartbreaking and there were times where she just wanted to give up.
09:18 PM - May 31, 2023
A
thread 4/8
Getting a text from your child that they can’t take it anymore and then no response was the most terrifying moment of my life. But she made it through the day. She was in college during this time and she had an assignment for class to do an interview of someone interesting.
09:22 PM - May 31, 2023
A
thread 5/8
There was a drag show being performed at the school and she got up the nerve to ask one of the drag queens to be interviewed. The interview went great and my child felt very comfortable talking with the drag queen and the became fast friends.
09:25 PM - May 31, 2023
A
thread 6/8
She began meeting other drag queens and the supporting LGBTQ community and made more friends. We were also finally able to get her mental health therapy and medication (which took six months, but that’s another story for another day).
09:30 PM - May 31, 2023
A
thread 7/8
My child had finally found her tribe and began to have a life again. She went from someone who could barely get out of bed and being anxiety ridden about everything to someone who now performs in Drag Shows herself. All because a Drag Queen took the time to talk, connect and treat her like a friend.
09:37 PM - May 31, 2023
A
thread 8/8
So I am a proud Mom with a non-binary child who has a trans girlfriend and tons of drag friends and I LOVE THEM ALL. They are the reason my child is still here. They are all beautiful, caring and loving and I am grateful to them all. 🌈 ❤️🌈
09:43 PM - May 31, 2023
Alex Fiano
A
In response to Shogan and the Star Wars Cats.
I went through this as a Gen X teen; there were so few resources to explore or understand or find allies or representation, especially in rural areas we were often in. You're a terrific parent, thanks for being supportive of your child and the best to you and her ❤️
12:59 PM - Mar 05, 2024
A
In response Alex Fiano to their Spout
Thank you for the kind words. 💜. It’s not always easy and I’m not perfect but my kid means the world to me. Even growing up Gen-X in a large city, there wasn’t the openness and exposure like there is today so I’m still learning every day.
01:35 PM - Mar 05, 2024
Craig Tyler
A
Thank you for sharing.
11:11 PM - Sep 15, 2023
Matt Egan he/him/his
A
Thank for sharing something that personal and moving. I'm the weird guy who hangs out with 2 non-binary adults myself. I occasionally have to kick an ass as a result, but they, just like your daughter's savior(s) are the most kind and honest people I've ever met, despite my being a cis hetero male.
03:20 PM - Jun 19, 2023
Gabe McGrath
A
Thankyou for sharing. For all you know, for somebody reading this - it might be just what they need.

Hope things continue to improve for your child.
And good luck in the Thread challenge.
11:19 PM - Jun 04, 2023
Freecat15
A
Great thread! 🌈❤
08:28 AM - Jun 03, 2023
Zunilda Figueroa Perez
A
Thank you for sharing this. Hugs
09:45 AM - Jun 02, 2023
ecsbrooklyn
A
So happy for both of you. ❤️
12:12 PM - Jun 01, 2023
MaggieMae
A
Thank you for sharing, your story stirred my heart. Sending love and hugs to you and your beautiful LGBTQIA+ family! 🏳️‍🌈💜🏳️‍⚧️
11:30 PM - May 31, 2023
Margo Green
A
I would love to hear that story
09:21 PM - May 31, 2023
{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}