I Smoked Threads
A
What's really going to blow your mind is finding out that Mississippi is by percentage, the blackest state in America and apart from a single black House representive, it's run by white people. Ask yourself how that happens.
OriginalSinner @OriginalSinner
#JoyReid has been covering this story. It doesn't seem real in this day and age but it is.
#Mississippi is creating a separate all white court system in the 83% black majority city of {#id:83199#} to be selected by the all white state government rather than elected by local citizens.

How?
10:38 PM - Feb 13, 2023
11:27 PM - Feb 13, 2023
Brown Sugar BLM
A
In response to I Smoked Threads.
WHY ISN’T MAIN STREAM NEWS COVERING THIS??????🤦🏽‍♀️
11:56 AM - Apr 17, 2024
frog_enabler
A
Most people don't know that the state of MS voted against more abortion restrictions in 2011. It voted for medical MJ, but would vote for it to be legal. Every major town also enacted rights for LGBTQ employee partners. The pols in charge are not representative. Gerrymandered to the end & back.
08:40 PM - Aug 14, 2023
Insley James
A
No shit, eh?

Excellent #Splashback

I'd caught a story about that on NPR awhile back. The Splashback was a good reminder. Now, how can we change it?
08:40 PM - Aug 04, 2023
Paula Beard
B
The system is rigged for that shit. It's time to untangle that mess and give people the ability to elect their own leaders!
11:49 AM - Jul 19, 2023
Trauma Epidemic
A
I'll defer to the experience of TN (as recently received widespread public coverage).
04:54 PM - Jul 16, 2023
JC_🇺🇸
A
Does anyone really have to ask?
04:19 PM - Feb 17, 2023
frog_enabler
A
In response to JC_🇺🇸.
Maybe check this rag out instead: https://mississippitoday.o... They are questioning the "size" of his primary win. Could be bad for "Tator Tot"!
08:43 PM - Aug 14, 2023
Carol Alomari
A
This right here!
08:56 PM - Feb 14, 2023
Amie in NJ
A
Solve the question of how to get poor people to vote in their own interest and you save democracy.
05:47 PM - Feb 14, 2023
frog_enabler
A
In response to Amie in NJ.
Many can't vote because they do not have a birth certificate. Many not born in a hospital. Also, when you canvass, they ask what has been done for them. It's hard to argue that much has.
08:44 PM - Aug 14, 2023
William Tulloch
A
Did a training program in Jackson several years ago for community health centers that serve the poor. Staff is mainly people of color as well, but there was a nice older white doctor - real Southern Gentleman style - who did NOT like my satirical reference to Confederates as "traitors."
01:11 PM - Feb 14, 2023
Kate Bracy
A
Apartheid. It works until millions say, “no more.”
09:59 AM - Feb 14, 2023
Mr Yoyito
A
Things to look into:
1) Gerrymandered district shapes.
2) Who’s funding those candidates.
3) The poverty/transportation situation and access to early voting, poll and drop off location
4) Policing practices and convicted voting laws. How small an infraction can purge a black voter. Drug possess
09:43 AM - Feb 14, 2023
frog_enabler
A
In response to Mr Yoyito.
The voter ID laws. People born in the country, or outside of hospitals, don't have a birth certificate. No transportation, but really, the national party just ignores the state as unwinnable. Brandon Presley will give a weak Gov a run for his money tho.
08:37 PM - Aug 14, 2023
Donnie DoWrong
B
This spout was removed because the account associated with it was suspended.
09:36 AM - Feb 14, 2023
Marie Allen
A
For whatever reason, people are not voting. If so, are polls rigged? Need more community engagement.
09:31 AM - Feb 14, 2023
frog_enabler
A
In response to Marie Allen.
Have you ever canvassed in MS? I have, do. It's hard to do. House numbers do not go in a line. People really have many pressing worries. There's always shenanigans: https://www.mississippifre...
08:50 PM - Aug 14, 2023
Pamela Hayes
A
Instead of continuing to support MS with more federal funding than the state pays in taxes, they should use those funds to relocate any person who wants to leave the state.

I lived the first 20 years of my life there. Got out as soon as I was able. More would if they could afford to.
09:23 AM - Feb 14, 2023
natnewscot
A
How is that even possible.
09:02 AM - Feb 14, 2023
John Haakenson
A
I Smoked, I ask myself this about MS and AL too. Why, how? I know the white GOP has cooked the system as best it can plus the SCOTUS rulings have screwed us all, but with 80% black population, it should be possible to elect good people to reverse this. Is it due to no support by DNC?
09:02 AM - Feb 14, 2023
Elisabeth Gleckler
A
In response to John Haakenson.
The DNC doesn't care about states in the South. Look at how they abandoned Mary Landrieu in the middle of her campaign. Look at the attention they pay to the LA state Dem.
For decades the down ballot down South has been ignored by the DNC.
And, here we are.
02:34 PM - Feb 14, 2023
Ede Chris
B
I have friends who live in MS, intimidation subtle & not so subtle remain as it has been for years. When those on the courts are also the employers, landowners & owners of most major businesses, what can they expect? Retribution

Why don’t they leave? Same reasons the status quo remains, habit!
03:07 AM - Feb 14, 2023
Ten Ford
A
This should tell you all you need to know on how that is able to happen. We are hurting ourselves.
12:32 AM - Feb 14, 2023
Ten Ford
A
pls see attached. Everyone talks a big game about voting and changing things but when the time comes (in my exp in talking w/people) to vote 2many have excuses as to why they couldn’t spare a small amount of time to go vote that would make a world of difference over complaining about how things are!
12:27 AM - Feb 14, 2023
Happy4uu&u
A
Utter rubbish, yah? We should have a say how our tax dollars are spent, but of course, we are just the legs to support the supreme throne.
11:41 PM - Feb 13, 2023
Yimi_Kyrabo
A
It is the more than 150yo confederate spirit, still acting out and rebellion after the so-called surrender at Appomattox Virginia. This spirit runs ramped in south. They have not surrendered. J6 is the most recent, blatant evidence, they have not surrendered.
11:34 PM - Feb 13, 2023
Katherine McNeil
A
It is sick.
11:32 PM - Feb 13, 2023
Jeanne Gustafson
A
Yep
11:32 PM - Feb 13, 2023
Linda B
A
When the Justice Department step in and put a stop to this shit?
11:31 PM - Feb 13, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}