Pamela Keith
A
If you robbed a bank in DC and then flew down to FL to spend the loot and share it with friends, where did the “crime” take place?

What if the bank tracked you down and asked you to return the money? Where did the crime take place?

It was LEGAL MALPRACTICE to risk this case by filing it in FL.
09:22 PM - Jun 13, 2023 (Edited)
Movie Vigilante
A
In response to Pamela Keith.
Your analogy is as faulty as Florida Man's excuses.
08:44 PM - Jun 16, 2023
Dan Scannell
A
I can't agree that filing in FL was "legal malpractice" by any means, but definitely a large risk factor against the success of this case? Yes, though the charges seem to mostly involve his actions while in FL, not DC, so it does seem like the most appropriate location to file.

Unfortunately =
07:19 PM - Jun 14, 2023
johnjohn
A
The obstruction took place in FL, no?
12:29 AM - Jun 14, 2023
Jay Marsden
A
This bank robbery analogy is misleading. The crimes noted in the indictment occurred in Florida. They are unrelated to taking the docs, and directly related to willfully retaining them. Subpoena requested docs be returned, they were not (counts 1-31), skulduggery commenced (counts 32-37)
12:19 AM - Jun 14, 2023
Tim Graf
A
As others have explained, that's simply not true. The obstruction (moving boxes around to avoid docs being discovered, refusal to fully comply with a subpoena, making false statements about compliance) and at least some of the exposure of docs to unauthorized persons all occurred in FL.
12:12 AM - Jun 14, 2023
Anastasia Joy
A
I've also seen a ton of people say it would've been legal malpractice to file it in D.C. because Trump would've stalled by attempting to move it to friendlier Florida, so they preempted him. I guess everyone has an opinion.
10:19 PM - Jun 13, 2023
DahliaFrench
A
It was NOT legal malpractice. Pls don't give non-lawyers this suggestion. Words matter.
10:03 PM - Jun 13, 2023
Bob White
A
Respectfully disagree. Venue in criminal cases can be pretty technical and charging in the wrong venue could derail a prosecution. The Justice Department lawyers aren't dummies and almost certainly had good reasons to make the venue selection they decided upon.
09:52 PM - Jun 13, 2023
Dan Eldredge
A
From what I understand, when Trump transported the documents, he was still President. Placed in boxes like they were, the documents weren't secured properly, but Trump still had the right to access them, so in that sense he didn't steal them. He lost that right once Biden's inauguration occurred.
09:45 PM - Jun 13, 2023
Dan Eldredge
A
In response to Dan Eldredge.
Once Biden was officially President, Trump had a legal obligation to return them immediately, but by then he was already in FL (AFAIK). Holding onto the documents from then on, the lying, the obstruction, the conspiracy to hide/lie--all those were the crimes charged, and they were committed in FL.
09:47 PM - Jun 13, 2023 (Edited)
Oklahoma Kate
A
More crimes took place in FL. If they file it in DC he will delay it trying to move it. Also, if they file in wrong place, court can dismiss it and it can’t be retried. I believe Aileen Cannon will be removed.
09:30 PM - Jun 13, 2023
Progressive Joe
A
Federal crime.
09:28 PM - Jun 13, 2023
⚛️Shawn Athan
A
I'm waiting for the DC Grand Jury. Where are the charges for stealing the documents?
09:27 PM - Jun 13, 2023
Anton Brakhage
A
Honestly, why ask a question when you've already settled on the answer? If you actually wanted to know, IIRC its likely because not all of his crimes were committed in DC, but all of them had ties to Florida, and the law requires that someone be charged in the venue where the crime occurred.
09:25 PM - Jun 13, 2023
Anton Brakhage
A
In response to Anton Brakhage.
I would, respectfully, consider that perhaps a career war crimes prosecutor has a better understanding of the situation, and what the best course of action is to get to a conviction.
09:29 PM - Jun 13, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}