Shawn Scott
A
This is your friendly reminder that if you see someone shoplifting food, no you didn’t. Especially if you see somebody eating shoplifted food in the bathroom of the grocery, no you didn’t.
10:56 PM - Jun 25, 2023
Nikki Norman
A
In response to Shawn Scott.
It’s not stealing if you eat it in the store.
11:24 PM - Jun 25, 2023
Higgins_tj
A
As an aside, this kind of level headed back-and-forth is one of the reasons I spend time on this site.
11:20 PM - Jun 25, 2023
Professor Kyle
A
I've never seen this. But as someone who helps run a local food store (owned by a nonprofit) I kinda disagree. We give a lot of food away to people in need (it's part of our mission). Shoplifting hurts the farmers/producers who bring us food & hurts our viability as a business. & stealing is wrong.
11:08 PM - Jun 25, 2023
Higgins_tj
A
In response to Professor Kyle.
I guess that's one of those moral dilemmas. I've never seen it either, but if I ever do, I'm either paying for their groceries, or turning a blind eye. Totally understand if you are the store, you have to "discourage" it to stay in business, though.
11:17 PM - Jun 25, 2023
Shawn Scott
A
In response to Professor Kyle.
I can appreciate this position from a store owner or worker. However, narcing on someone hard on their luck is a choice, so for me, I wish the store owner luck in catching them on their own. I stand by my assertion that we don’t need to bring more harm.
11:19 PM - Jun 25, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}