Bun the Franky
A
Just to make it clear:

The average cost of an interstate move in America is $5,000.

The number of people in America with less than $5,000 is savings is 75%.

Do the fucking math. And quit shitting on people who don't have the privilege to make a choice about which state they live in.
Bun the Franky @ZomBunnyFrank
Many of the people in Florida that hate what's happening in Florida don't have any choice but to be in Florida, so maybe be a little more gracious, people.
10:39 AM - Jul 12, 2023
10:59 AM - Jul 12, 2023
HawkeyeKateBishop
A
In response to Bun the Franky.
I did it ONCE and it took a few years to recover financially.
04:44 PM - Jan 26, 2024
Only Love
A
Some cannot leave their livelihoods, either.
04:40 PM - Jan 26, 2024
lauriebidaho
A
I had clients move from Idaho to Texas and that cost was 40k. They did have the movers pack most of the house.
10:02 AM - Aug 15, 2023
Donna Jones
B
We just moved and the only way we were able is that we bought a fixer upper before the pandemic and were able to make good money when we sold it.

The cost of moving our stuff $7k. Then we had to convince someone to let us rent without jobs. We have jobs now. And so many other small costs involved.
10:01 AM - Aug 15, 2023
Portia McGonagal
A
Ours was 7K five years ago.
09:50 AM - Aug 15, 2023
Bun the Franky
A
In response to Portia McGonagal.
Exactly right. It's obvious that some people have no idea how few Americans can come up with $7k for something like this. That's beyond the reach of most people, particularly marginalized people living in Red states.
09:52 AM - Aug 15, 2023
HumTeach
A
Have you found savings/income data for those who do actually move? That would be fascinating.

There is also the heavy wave of people moving TO southern/western states that are now reviled for policy reasons, an active choice.

I'm a native Texan who ran away as soon as I could hence biased.
11:46 AM - Jul 12, 2023
Bun the Franky
A
In response to HumTeach.
I doubt anyone has those numbers specifically. The others are easy to look up, but it's not hard to estimate that those who do move are mostly outside of that 75% that's still 80 million people or so.
11:47 AM - Jul 12, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}