Lawrence Krubner
A
thread 1/7
I wanted to post this on Twitter but Twitter is so broken that I've been unable to post anything for 9 hours, so I will post it here:

I’ve been unable to like or retweet any posts for an hour, and my own posting is error prone. So now I’m paying $100 a year for a site with crippled abilities?
02:04 AM - Jul 02, 2023
Lawrence Krubner
A
thread 2/7
A bit of history might offer some perspective.

This reminds me of the incident in 2003 when Dave Winer suddenly took his site Weblogs.com offline. At the time his site hosted the elite of the tech industry, so it was a big deal when the site was suddenly offline, for something like a week
02:05 AM - Jul 02, 2023
Lawrence Krubner
A
thread 3/7
That site was also a for-pay site, and expensive, I think $1,000 a year. Winer argued that no one should criticize him because he was suffering from depression. He had a habit of weaponizing his depression to stifle criticism.
02:05 AM - Jul 02, 2023
Lawrence Krubner
A
thread 4/7
Another memory, which feels relevant, is the famous headline in TechCrunch: “Amateur hour is over at Twitter.”

That was in 2008.

I'll post here a screenshot of my failed attempt to post this to Twitter. You see all the error messages that I got?
02:06 AM - Jul 02, 2023
Lawrence Krubner
A
thread 5/7
My point is, the kind of unprofessional chaos that we now see at Twitter reminds me of the early days of the industry, when sites tended to be personal and chaotic. But after the chaos of those early years we had a decade when these businesses matured and stabilized.
02:07 AM - Jul 02, 2023
Lawrence Krubner
A
thread 6/7
And in 2023? I doubt anyone will now tolerate the kind of chaos that we had to endure when the industry was young, 20 years ago. This is simply unacceptable. People now have an abundance of choices, they will go elsewhere.
Lawrence Krubner
A
thread 7/7
As I said, I wanted to post this thread to Twitter, but Twitter is broken, so I'm posting it here.

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}