Salome Strangelove
A
thread 1/8
One of the things I have no idea if people have realized is that the whole idea of throttling by views on a social networking site means that influencers and people with larger followings instantly have the ability to silence smaller accounts. It doesn’t even have to be done deliberately.
07:45 AM - Jul 02, 2023
Salome Strangelove
A
thread 2/8
Right before the billionaire idiot decided not to pay his bills, I had a random tweet go unexpectedly semi-viral. Basically just posting about my favorite Alan Arkin film (The In-Laws, 1979). For some reason it got thousands of likes and tons retweets.
07:48 AM - Jul 02, 2023
Salome Strangelove
A
thread 3/8
Bad faith actors could (and will) exploit this.

Having a tweet go unexpectedly viral has always been stressful, but now it’s also a silencing tactic.
07:51 AM - Jul 02, 2023
Salome Strangelove
A
thread 4/8
I think that’s why I instantly appreciated the thoughtfulness and dedication that was put into allowing people to protect their virtual space here with Spoutible, even from its early announcements.
07:52 AM - Jul 02, 2023
Salome Strangelove
A
thread 5/8
I do miss certain voices, but hopefully more will join as the site grows. And the way things work you have to participate more than my social energies often allow, but it seems like tools are added in phases.
07:54 AM - Jul 02, 2023
Salome Strangelove
A
thread 6/8
That said, some of us are bitchers and moaners by nature. Wishing for instant gratification doesn’t mean I expect to get it.

I do like the foundations here, but I also don’t feel I’m as *informed* here as I’d like. And that’s my bigger concern.
07:57 AM - Jul 02, 2023
Salome Strangelove
A
thread 7/8
I have to keep reminding myself I spent years at the now useless bad place cultivating a feed that provided me with the news and insights I valued at a glance. It wasn’t there from the start.
08:01 AM - Jul 02, 2023
Salome Strangelove
A
thread 8/8
I have always been fond of the saying “there’s only one way to eat a whale, one bite at a time.”

I keep repeating it to myself here with no small amount of irony lol.
08:04 AM - Jul 02, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}