Professor Kyle
A
If you surround yourself with people who think critically and have empathy, that’s not a bubble.
12:21 PM - Jun 28, 2023
Jim Plunkett
A
In response to Professor Kyle.
Yup.

It certainly isn't a self-reinforcing disinformation bubble!

'tho it may be a bubble of sanity in a lake of insanity ;-P

sort of a question of what do we mean by "bubble"?
12:55 PM - Jun 28, 2023
Panama Red
A
In response to Jim Plunkett.
I would say that what we mean by a bubble is that no outside information gets considered or even gets in. An example would be people who get all their news from Fox or Newsmax. Critical, empathetic thinkers welcome the chance to consider new ideas -- as long as they really are new, not recycled BS.
01:27 PM - Jun 28, 2023
stephanie roberts
A
In response to Panama Red.
why say we when you mean you?

your definition seems a caricature. the alt-right, neo-confederacy come up with new bizarre ideas daily. they are devastatingly impressionable.

"our" problem (you and me) is you begin with the assumption that a bubble is bad then justify the assumption.
04:57 PM - Jun 28, 2023
Panama Red
A
In response to stephanie roberts.
You are confusing examples with information. The examples - Biden crime family, open borders, the FBI and DOJ are preventing Trump, etc. - are examples illustrating some relatively unchanging information: Biden is not just bad but also illegitimate. Only Trump can save us. Etc.
05:02 PM - Jun 28, 2023
stephanie roberts
A
I don't understand what you're trying to say, but I'd like to.

We live in a world of information, we all filter out what we feel doesn't resonate or apply to us. You stick on bad filters(?), but good filters work the same, discarding "information" we don't find useful or don't want.
05:13 PM - Jun 28, 2023
Panama Red
A
Let me see if this clarifies things: If you're in a bubble, you reject even what is measurably, objectively true because it disagrees with your world view. It's different from the kind of routine filtering you're describing, at least - important caveat - as I understand it. Again, I could be wrong.
05:34 PM - Jun 28, 2023
stephanie roberts
A
hey, thank you for your replies! i'm thinking about what you've said and gathering some thoughts. 🕊️
08:51 PM - Jun 28, 2023
Panama Red
A
You're quite welcome. I've enjoyed talking with you.
09:15 PM - Jun 28, 2023
stephanie roberts
A
1/5 my understanding is that you and the lovely Kyle begin from the premise bubble is negative then define it in a way that excludes you (us or ilk). well ok.

it seems that bubble becomes a way of name-calling. i.e. person in a bubble is closed-minded and self-centered as opposed to empathetic
11:00 AM - Jul 01, 2023
stephanie roberts
A
2/5 and critical thinking. no one sees themselves that way or wants to.

I think bubble as a curation. A bubble can function negatively or positively in my paradigm. if some want to disparage me as living in a bubble, i say, yes, and enjoying the waters here greatly thanks! Because what is important
11:01 AM - Jul 01, 2023
stephanie roberts
A
3/5

is how my bubble serves me more than what people outside of it think of it. This also fortifies the negative bubble from our name calling.

I think it is self-deluding to want to believe that progressives are more open to ideas that fly in the face of their own dearly held beliefs because
11:01 AM - Jul 01, 2023
stephanie roberts
A
4/5
they are presented as “science” which is changeable and facts which are often dependent on perspective. Even in a progressive bubble like Spoutible there is resistance to facts because all humans are subject to strong biases rooted in emotional needs.
11:02 AM - Jul 01, 2023
stephanie roberts
A
5/5

Everyone needs to believe they’re a critical thinker. Being “open” to entertaining new information is on a continuum; it’s not we’re purple (not in a bubble) and “they” are green (in a bubble). we disagree. i can live with that.
11:04 AM - Jul 01, 2023
Panama Red
A
Thanks for your thoughts, Stephanie. The simplest explanation for our differences appears to be that you define "bubble" more broadly than I. To me, what you are talking about is thoughtful curation, the key word being "thoughtful." What I'm talking about is much more reflexive, less thoughtful. 1/
01:58 PM - Jul 02, 2023
Panama Red
A
To the extent that my definition of a bubble serves its inhabitants, it does so by shielding them from the cognitive dissonance that might otherwise force them to reflect more critically on their views. 2/
02:02 PM - Jul 02, 2023
Panama Red
A
Facts are facts; what's changeable is the context in which those facts are observed, which, of course, includes personal experience. Science does sometimes change, but not that often and usually not that dramatically -- and almost always with a breadcrumb trail left for reproducibility. 3/
02:06 PM - Jul 02, 2023
Panama Red
A
In my experience -- your mileage may vary, of course -- a LOT of people not only do not need to think of themselves as critical thinkers, they also are suspicious of critical thinking. This is most common on the religious Right, but it's not rare even on the secular Right. 4/
02:08 PM - Jul 02, 2023 (Edited)

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}