David James
A
Nobody is saying we have to be a bunch of happy clappy hippies, Spoutible is a place where people can have a difference of opinion whilst still, hopefully, respecting that other peoples opinions may differ. Doesn’t mean you have to respond with foul language and targeted abuse.
07:31 PM - Jul 04, 2023
Vivant Anon
A
In response to David James.
Regarding different positions & respectful dialogue, all topics are not equal. ie debating if women should be able to vote vs changing the age of voting rights. Debating human rights is a line for me, but either way we can use clear language in response, even if we end up blocking.
11:15 AM - Jul 07, 2023
David James
A
In response to Vivant Anon.
You are right, but it doesn’t matter whether all topics are equal or not, discourse can still be respectful.
05:27 PM - Jul 07, 2023
Vivant Anon
A
I’ve blocked people for unnecessary rudeness in replies & many of these folks have tons of followers. If no one speaks up when this happens, it’s tacit approval, especially if you keep following them.
11:11 AM - Jul 07, 2023
David James
A
In response to Vivant Anon.
I agree with that 100%, I couldn’t give a damn about whether somebody is an “influencer” with thousands of followers or whether they are somebody with one or two, if they are rude they get blocked, it’s as simple as that and on this platform if they are not careful, they also get reported.
05:28 PM - Jul 07, 2023
Sarah Daniel
A
This is a place where we can learn how to differ with respect, and where we can practice doing that. There are few other places these days where that is possible.
05:57 AM - Jul 05, 2023
Kate Dobson
A
It's almost as if millions of people have forgotten it's possible to have a principled disagreement and the point doesn't have to be laying waste to humanity... 🤔

Oh, what am I saying... delete the "almost."
08:39 PM - Jul 04, 2023
David James
A
In response to Kate Dobson.
Because people see the Internet as a place they can be faceless if required, they can be as awful as they want without any consequences, not as true these days, although it was back in the early days of ICQ and yahoo chat rooms. But I do think the Internet emboldens peoples worst aspects sometimes.
09:31 PM - Jul 04, 2023
Jeff Mistina 🐻
A
Very well said.

To me, Spoutible allows for/encourages non-abusive “spirited debate.”

It shouldn’t be THAT hard for people… right?
08:06 PM - Jul 04, 2023
Ramsey, Queen of Popcorn®
A
I agree!

I had an opinion about something & a few ppl had a different one. We engaged respectfully & I learned some things. Later, more info was shared on the subject & I changed my mind. Being open to listening, discussing, learning, & growing is essential.

I also admitted to being wrong.
08:02 PM - Jul 04, 2023
Carla Reid + Chilla
A
I do this all the time at work or used to all the time, now I just do it 2 days a week. You can disagree, you present facts, you can be mature and listen and learn and impart what you know or you can be shut off, dismissive and insulting and abusive No one listens when they are insulted and abused.
08:00 PM - Jul 04, 2023
Be Human
A
I won't tolerate abuse. We are here to discuss and learn from each other 💖
07:56 PM - Jul 04, 2023
NetMaven 🐠🐠
A
Wait. I am now considering being a happy clappy hippie as my alternate personna.
It sounds cool. Love Earth. 🌼
Peace out man! 😊
💙
07:54 PM - Jul 04, 2023
Bev Turner
A
In response to NetMaven 🐠🐠.
Welcome!
08:01 PM - Jul 04, 2023
Lisse (she/her)
A
Well stated , David. 👌🏾
07:46 PM - Jul 04, 2023
Matt Egan he/him/his
A
I want to be able to debate with people whose beliefs are antithetical to mine, but, at the end, agree to disagree and remain friendly afterward. We can do this if we all work together. We did have a bump in the road recently, but we've gotten mostly beyond it. We need to prove this is a possibility
07:44 PM - Jul 04, 2023
Schrodinger's Democracy
A
Pretty simple - disagree without being disagreeable.
07:39 PM - Jul 04, 2023
David James
A
In response to Schrodinger's Democracy.
Exactly, a properly conducted debate is far more productive in the long run.
07:40 PM - Jul 04, 2023
Bev Turner
A
Absolutely! You may have made my decision for me, whether to unfollow. She almost dared me to after pointing out that word crossed a line. Gonna sleep on it.
Kalind
A
Well said. We don’t have to agree on everything, but we shouldn’t resort to chaotic behavior
David James
A
In response to Kalind.
I am all for reasoned argument, I’m not egotistical enough to believe that I’m always right, there are two sides to almost everything.
07:40 PM - Jul 04, 2023
Paperback Writer
A
Agreed. Let's not turn this into another twitter.
07:32 PM - Jul 04, 2023 (Edited)

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}