Helen Highly
A
thread 1/3
Eric Adams’s New York City

Note: when they say “burglary,” that means *shoplifting* (a crime of poverty), and when they say “charge” that means awaiting trial bc he couldn’t afford bail and had been CONVICTED OF NOTHING.

Yet he got a death sentence.
07:50 PM - Jul 04, 2023
Helen Highly
A
thread 2/3
It’s amazing to me that everyone is ignoring this story today. But it just got worse. (I mean, it got more serious.)

Meanwhile jails commissioner Molina is suspending investigators and the FBI may be taking interest in an alleged DOC coverup of Rikers violence.
10:48 PM - Jul 04, 2023
Helen Highly
A
thread 3/3
Wow, not even one Like.😬
I get that people disapprove of shoplifting, but it should not be punished w/a death sentence.

If people knew the actual cost to arrest, prosecute & jail someone, they might think differently about crime prevention. $1500 per person per night at Rikers jail. That’s insane.
11:01 PM - Jul 04, 2023
Helen Highly
A
They happen far too often +under just unacceptable circumstances. NYC has been trying to either *close* Rikers (it’s a gigantic human rights violation) or put it in federal receivership, which would at least maybe enforce some type of reform. But the admin of Mayor Adams would rather cover up & lie.
In response to My Flying Car 2020.
11:22 PM - Jul 04, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}