Suzanne JaaaNONYA
A
I read a book a loooonngg time ago: The Shallows - What the Internet is Doing to Our Brains (Nicholas Carr)

Basically we comprehend far less because we have a much shallower understanding of concepts nowadays…

It’s so common that it’s literally changing how many people’s brains function 😬
ManKillah Fruitface @FruitFacedFruitKace
09:01 AM - Jul 05, 2023
09:38 AM - Jul 05, 2023
Vaughn Cooper
A
In response to Suzanne JaaaNONYA.
I can see that. Over time we’ve gone from full multi-page investigative journalism, to short USA Today style reporting, to a heavy focus on Op-Eds, to less than 280 characters posts, to GIF/memes. We’ve returned back to hieroglyphics drawing on our digital walls lol
09:57 AM - Jul 05, 2023 (Edited)
Aamir Hussain
A
In response to Vaughn Cooper.
I disagree. All day screaming jock talk radio and 24 hour sensation driven cable news predate the internet. Tabloids even more so. The current state of affairs can be traced to Thatcher and Regan and that was way before anyone had even heard of a modem.
10:08 AM - Jul 05, 2023
Aamir Hussain
A
In response to Aamir Hussain.
Plus the degradation of journalism has nothing to do with the internet, it has everything to do with corporate control of the media and the pivot to 'news-entertainment' cuz it makes more money and holds up the corrupt status-quo.

The problem isn't the technology, it's the corps who own it.
10:10 AM - Jul 05, 2023 (Edited)
Vaughn Cooper
A
In response to Aamir Hussain.
I don’t see significant disagreement. I’m referring to how in general consumers of information have been conditioned to accept less across modalities, which does influence their ability to obtain a full understanding of complex concepts.
10:29 AM - Jul 05, 2023
Aamir Hussain
A
The medium is the message sure, but the success of in depth podcasts and the ability for academics to debunk BSers in real time are features of the net that contradict the 'dumbing down' idea.

I knew #covidisairborne because I followed good people on twitter years before even the WHO admitted it..
In response to Vaughn Cooper.
10:34 AM - Jul 05, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}