Tom G. Hughes
A
thread 1/8
Me and "that cult." (A thread.)

Backstory: I did the est training in 1984, the "Werner Erhard & Associates" Forum in 1986, and the Landmark Forum in 2018.

I don't think Landmark (the heir of est and Erhard's work) is, strictly speaking, a cult. But I totally get why a lot of folks think so.
10:43 AM - Jun 13, 2023
Tom G. Hughes
A
thread 2/8
It would take too long here to get into the whys and wherefores of my participation. (Maybe some other time ) Suffice to say, I kept coming back because I was intrigued and at times inspired by the philosophies and the personal discipline on display.
10:47 AM - Jun 13, 2023
Tom G. Hughes
A
thread 3/8
That said, where I always hit the brick wall was in my resistance to the aggressive "sharing" and "enrolling." One is encouraged to not be reluctant about really getting in someone's face, if need be, regarding the urgency and importance of them doing the Forum and other Landmark courses.
10:52 AM - Jun 13, 2023
Tom G. Hughes
A
thread 4/8
I also resisted what Landmarkians call the sometimes "ruthless compassion" of course dialogue. Call it their version of "tough love."
I didn't take too kindly to it,. especially in the est days, and still don't. Maybe that's a me thing more than a them thing, I'll grant.
10:57 AM - Jun 13, 2023
Tom G. Hughes
A
thread 5/8
But if it's more a me thing, then I've fairly reconciled myself to the personal truth that I am better off with therapeutic pursuits (like Spoutible!).than with Landmark. Landmark does not consider what it does as therapy -- rather as stimulant & context-creator for where good therapy might show up.
11:02 AM - Jun 13, 2023
Tom G. Hughes
A
thread 6/8
Another element that raises a red flag for me is the visions of empowerment that arise from Forum graduates being "transformed." They look suspiciously overly bourgeois and money-driven to me. Again, maybe more a me thing, but there ya go.
11:05 AM - Jun 13, 2023
Tom G. Hughes
A
thread 7/8
And finally: Is it a cult? With the annoying pushiness & insularity & "us versus the resistance" vibe that can arise among longtime participants, you could be forgiven for thinking so. Yet one remains free to leave at any time, as I did, so I don't think it's a cult. But cult-like in some ways.
11:11 AM - Jun 13, 2023
Tom G. Hughes
A
thread 8/8
Apologies if this triggers some suspicions and personal defense mechanisms here. Safe to say, I won't be trying to advocate your giving Landmark a shot. Totally up to you, and I'm cool either way.

I'm just trying to keep it as real as I can here. Maybe sometime I'll even drop the nom de plume. 🤓
11:51 AM - Jun 13, 2023
Meesh
A
Thanks for the follow.
In response to Tom G. Hughes.
09:43 PM - Jul 06, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}