Professor Kyle
A
thread 1/9
I have a long, boring, yet sordid story about parking & people who should not be cops... So 2 nights ago was "Town Band," a tradition from time immemorial where local musicians gather to play pop songs, marches, film tunes, & patriotic songs on wind instruments & percussion in the gazebo. For this
10:50 PM - Jul 07, 2023 (Edited)
Professor Kyle
A
thread 2/9
event, & the Farmers Market, & my event (Rockin’ the Park), everyone parks along the side of the green where it says “no parking.” It’s just what we do. This Wednesday for some reason the cops decided to roll in halfway through Town Band & ticket people, mostly musicians in the band, despite the
10:50 PM - Jul 07, 2023 (Edited)
Professor Kyle
A
thread 3/9
fact that no one has been ticketed for parking basically ever in town. So people were upset, & today the Town Band director, the Town Manager, & the Chief of Police (and me!) met to talk about what to do moving forward…and we were told to continue parking between the signs that say no parking,
10:50 PM - Jul 07, 2023
Professor Kyle
A
thread 4/9
but don’t park past them where it doesn’t say no parking. Makes no sense, but that was the message…And yet, tonight, halfway through the Rockin’ the Park concert, a cop came ripping through, shouting “Everybody better move your vehicles or I’m going to ticket them!!” He then drove slowly around
10:50 PM - Jul 07, 2023
Professor Kyle
A
thread 5/9
the park till I finally tracked him down, thinking I’d explain what I was told by his boss & his boss’s boss earlier in the day & he’d say, “Oh, carry on then, sorry to bother you.” Instead he said that he didn’t believe me (3 times!), that there’s no way it was true, & that if I didn’t stop talking
10:51 PM - Jul 07, 2023
Professor Kyle
A
thread 6/9
he’d get his ticket pad out right now & ticket all the cars. Did I mention I look my 47 years while this cop was like 19? Didn’t matter – he was belligerent & itching for a fight. Nothing besides “Yes sir, I will make the cars move, sir” would have satisfied him. Another young cop was there too
Professor Kyle
A
thread 7/9
who was wicked friendly & bought a lemonade from the teenager selling them to benefit her dance trip…but the aggro cop drove off in a huff, seething with anger. This is the kind of (white) policeman who signed up because it gives him power over others. If he was this upset about parking, what’s he
Professor Kyle
A
thread 8/9
going to do when something more “serious” presents itself…like a Black or Brown man walking down the street. The type of cop who will shoot 1st & ask questions later. So you better believe that Town Manager Ben and Chief Charbonneau will be hearing from me, not just about how they apparently
Professor Kyle
A
thread 9/9
didn’t tell the patrol officers what they told me, but that they have a loose cannon itching for action who should simply not be there. Not sure it will make a difference, but I will try. Fin.
10:52 PM - Jul 07, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}