Cynthia Williams
A
thread 1/15
Here's my new thread about the Twitter Alt War in response to Bouzy's fantastic #Spoutible thread. I think the two threads connect. I learned this info from a class on social network mapping as part of a data analysis class via Udemy.

Social networks reveal a lot of info about their members.

1/
10:37 AM - Jul 08, 2023
Cynthia Williams
A
thread 2/15
The type of social network a user joins is deeply connected to one's beliefs and personality.

The size of the network a user builds is a surrogate for their ability to understand and adapt to the rules of the network they're in.

The info shared in a network simulates safety & self-worth.

2/
10:43 AM - Jul 08, 2023 (Edited)
Cynthia Williams
A
thread 3/15
When Bouzy used the analogy of a person dating different social media networks until the user finds their perfect match, he's not wrong. Behavioral scientists have studied the way people decide whether or not to engage in social media and their search follows a dating pattern.

3/
10:47 AM - Jul 08, 2023
Cynthia Williams
A
thread 4/15
When data analysis is done on a group of users in social media, we ask the following questions:

1. What is the platform's focus? Fun, news, job search, etc.

2. What is the average size of a user's network on the platform? Outliers with extra large networks , like celebrities, don't count.

4/
10:52 AM - Jul 08, 2023
Cynthia Williams
A
thread 5/15
3. What is the demographic description at the center of a average network on a platform? Young, old, male, female,etc?

This person at the center of a group of interconnected users is sometimes called, "the hub".

4. How active is the center user at the hub? Minutes & hours each day?

5/
10:58 AM - Jul 08, 2023 (Edited)
Cynthia Williams
A
thread 6/15
It's here that a map is often times created of the user's network and studied.

Every time the hub shares something with their social media network, analysts count how many times the info is responded to and by whom inside the network.

It's like watching a map of city lights coming on at night.

6/
11:04 AM - Jul 08, 2023
Cynthia Williams
A
thread 7/15
I want to mention here that my Udemy class instructor made an important statement. She told the class that it wan't our jobs to pass judgement on any hub in our analysis who shared constantly. It wasn't our job to wonder if the person was a social media addict.

"Be objective at all times."

7/
11:08 AM - Jul 08, 2023 (Edited)
Cynthia Williams
A
thread 8/15
At the time I took the class, these were the social media platforms we studied,

YouTube
Pinterest
LinkedIn
Facebook
Twitter

We studied these platforms because the different content (images versus music vs text) shared and data collection ease.

Spoutible wasn't around for us to study.

8/
11:14 AM - Jul 08, 2023
Cynthia Williams
A
thread 9/15
My Udemy class was given the assignment to pick out a platform and map one user's network. I created a social media network map of my Twitter network with me at the hub for my class assignment. Here's what I learned about myself a few years ago.

1. I was a HIGH user of Twitter. I tweeted hrly.

9/
11:18 AM - Jul 08, 2023
Cynthia Williams
A
thread 10/15
2. I was the center or hub of a network with over 7,000 users.

3. The people in my network were an unusual demographic mixture. I attracted a wide range of people with a wide range of backgrounds.

Why was this strange?

Studies show most user networks are homogeneous in demographics.

9/
11:23 AM - Jul 08, 2023
Cynthia Williams
A
thread 11/15
4. When I analyzed the info I shared as the hub of my network, I appeared to be schizophrenic. I tweeted about a random number of differing topics.

My desired focus on social media is sharing info on Black American tech advancements. I have other interests that sometimes take over.

10/
11:27 AM - Jul 08, 2023
Cynthia Williams
A
thread 12/15
5. The lights going off in my network were like watching a city partially lit. Because of my tweeting about random topics that didn't interest my whole network, my entire network rarely lit up.

If I use Bouzy's analogy, I was a over talkative Twitter sibling who crashed your date.

12/
11:35 AM - Jul 08, 2023 (Edited)
Cynthia Williams
A
thread 13/15
I could go on, but you get the idea. Mapping a user's social media network can reveal many things.

Bouzy isn't off base with his analogy.

13/
11:41 AM - Jul 08, 2023
Cynthia Williams
A
thread 14/15
If you've read this far in my thread and are wondering,

"Is Cynthia or someone else on #Spoutible collecting data on me and my network of followers as I spout?"

The answer for myself is, "No." I'm still getting use to Spoutible. I haven't quite figured out where I fit in yet.

14/
11:44 AM - Jul 08, 2023
Cynthia Williams
A
thread 15/15
But could someone else be already studying Spoutible users to understand who we all are and why we're all here?

Maybe.

But don't worry. If the person studying everyone in Spoutible is doing it right, they aren't here to judge you.

Keep spouting! You found the best date.

/end
11:47 AM - Jul 08, 2023 (Edited)
💜 Callie 💜
A
In response to Cynthia Williams.
Cynthia is an entire mood, y’all. 👏🏽

Excellent thread! Very informative. Thanks for sharing your wisdom.

#BlackSTEM
05:55 PM - Jul 08, 2023
Vicki with an eye
A
In response to 💜 Callie 💜.
Agreed! Puts a great perspective and context on @cbouzy 's thread! 💙🐳
11:10 PM - Jul 08, 2023
mary_reeves
A
In response to Cynthia Williams.
Very interesting
11:40 AM - Jul 08, 2023