Wyatt White
A
thread 1/5
I think Tears of the Kingdom is an interesting case of how a remix of some relatively small elements can radically alter how you interact with a game world.

Like for better and for worse, things like the Ceiling Warp and Zonai devices just radically alter how I see the landscape
02:19 PM - Jul 08, 2023
Wyatt White
A
thread 2/5
Even if basic combat, inventory, quest structure, and most interactions are the practically the same as BotW, the coop buddies and building change how you interface with all of it.

Even if like 80% of the wild ideas for Zonai constructs end up kinda failing.
Wyatt White
A
thread 3/5
I do dislike the structure of the story sofar though. Where BotW had a pretty clean "Cleanse divine beasts and fight Gannon" TotK has a much messier "there's some weird shit in these places, also what's up with the sky, oh what about the depths? Why is Zelda acting weird?"
Wyatt White
A
thread 4/5
Like I feel like BotW had such a genius and clean "Here's your goal, no go and explore" setup and that's super missing in TotK. I feel very frequently unsure of what to do next, which is direction I never lacked in BotW.
Wyatt White
A
thread 5/5
Peronally I feel like cutting the BotW overworld and just sticking to The Depths (maybe with multiple layers?) would have made for a much more interesting sequel. Radically shifting the world the player is in and how it works. Would have been a big swing but worth it IMO.
Wyatt White
A
Yea the overworld is fun to see, but feels more like exploration homework to me, might have been a cool DLC or something.

And yes people can direct you, but BotW was so good about directing you without needing to get expository directions from NPCs. Not bad, just not my preference
In response to Trudi Miller.
03:01 PM - Jul 08, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}