Mark Wilson, MD
A
thread 1/7
Argh, I lost the spout I was responding to, so here is my disconnected response: Dear demo of mine, I get it, and I mean that; getting called out directly about anything related to spheres of privilege and/or racism/white supremacy is uncomfortable, to say the least.
06:46 PM - Jul 11, 2023 (Edited)
Mark Wilson, MD
A
thread 2/7
And, yet, listen, hear, marinate on it, ask questions, and think about it. We all have different sets of spheres of privilege--race/class/gender/sexual orientation/abledness, etc--and different degrees of bias and different degrees of complicity/enabling/blindness to racism/white supremacy.
06:47 PM - Jul 11, 2023
Mark Wilson, MD
A
thread 3/7
Some of my demo are absolutely racist and white supremacist--Hell, Abraham Lincoln was absolutely racist--his own written words prove that--he was, fortunately, anti-slavery, but that did not mean he was not racist--many of us are not overtly racist but are at different stages of working through our
06:49 PM - Jul 11, 2023
Mark Wilson, MD
A
thread 4/7
spheres of privilige and our layers of biases--this doesn't make us terrible people, but, being overly defensive (we're all human, so we're bound to be at least a little prickly at times)--too much, too long--impulsively saying "not all...", impulsively personalizing too much (or, for that matter,
06:51 PM - Jul 11, 2023
Mark Wilson, MD
A
thread 5/7
too little) is revealing of potholes in our characterological development--and we ALL have potholes in there that need intermittent repair and re-repair. Doesn't mean we're Satan, but it does mean we're imperfect, so do the work of listening, or reeeeallly listening. And have the courage to look
06:52 PM - Jul 11, 2023
Mark Wilson, MD
A
thread 6/7
inward, bravely, in glaring fluorescent lights, at the good, the bad and the ugly, and the find the groundedness to keep sculpting things in the more humanistic direction. It's a marathon, a life long one, but it's worth it--I mean, what's life without a solid moral/ethical bearing--it's like
06:54 PM - Jul 11, 2023
Mark Wilson, MD
A
thread 7/7
Martin Buber wrote about in I and Thou--life is about relating, elevating each other to our higher Thou's and moving away from treating ourselves as "its". Humanism is good for the soul AND for society. Embrace the journey.
In The Journey - YouTube

Provided to YouTube by Redeye WorldwideIn The Journey · Martin SextonLive Wide Open℗ Kitchen Table RecordsReleased on: 2002-04-09Artist: Martin SextonAuto-ge...

06:56 PM - Jul 11, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}