Alberto Pastor
A
"Heliconius butterflies’ brains grow significantly in response to adopting novel foraging behaviors. A region of their brain known as 'the mushroom body' was found to be two to four times larger than in closely related butterfly species."
🌺🦋🧠 #Butterflies #behaviors #biology #wildlife #nature
03:44 PM - Jul 14, 2023
Matt Egan he/him/his
A
In response to Alberto Pastor.
Very interesting. I wonder if the same occurs in mammals, primates in particular, specifically humans. I, only anecdotally, have had experiences leading me to believe there's something to this in humans, but would love to see it empirically proven!!
06:08 PM - Jul 18, 2023
Amy Osterholm
A
Excuse me while I go forage
06:03 PM - Jul 18, 2023
Steve Hill
B
Mind Blowing...LOL...as long as you have a skull that can handle it! We have more than we can presently use so are skulls can only shrink! BTW Star Trek was Horror to me as a toddler!
05:59 PM - Jul 18, 2023
Arthur Grupp
A
Interesting so many humans doing opposite stunting brain growth by inhibiting and banning new experiences and cultures.
10:57 AM - Jul 15, 2023
Matt Egan he/him/his
A
In response to Arthur Grupp.
That was my 1st thought as well. Its entirely anecdotal and the plural of anecdote is not data, but I've noticed slightly clearer patterns of thought after learning new activities, fly fishing in particular. It could just be that fly fishing is a very zen activity, requiring ones conscious mind.
06:05 PM - Jul 18, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}