Rich TypesandPatterns
A
thread 1/12
There is so much more to talk about when it comes to Elijian beliefs & how they’re intertwined with the show, but I’ll just make 2 more points. First, my belief is that had #Xena Warrior Princess continued on several more seasons, we would have seen her story move more into
1/12
01:06 AM - Jul 15, 2023
Rich TypesandPatterns
A
thread 2/12
A gothic sensibility, something more resembling the roots of the Evil Dead series. We kind of see something like this in the 6th & final season of #HerculesTheLegendaryJourneys . The most recent RenPic series to date, Ash Vs the Evil Dead, is a bit like how I imagine it,
2/12
01:07 AM - Jul 15, 2023
Rich TypesandPatterns
A
thread 3/12
except with more elaborate cosmology after Paradise Lost, & other sources. The Olympians would still play a role, but would look different. I think the God of Love causes a paradigm shift in human affairs, & this reverberates with them, because as people change, so do gods.
3/12
Rich TypesandPatterns
A
thread 4/12
Exactly how do I imagine that? That’s a story for a different time, but I see a colorful future for a revival, if it happens. A more colorful Olympus, & as a Valley Mom rather than a Valley Girl, I’d love to see Alexandra Tydings return as a wiser Queen Aphrodite!
4/12
Rich TypesandPatterns
A
thread 5/12
Finally, I’d like to talk about the Elijians’ pacifism. I’m fairly certain that doesn’t sound appealing to anybody, but I disagree. A lot of the action on #Xena is nonviolent in nature. Most of the Indiana Jones movies are nonviolent. Violence is only a small part
5/12
Rich TypesandPatterns
A
thread 6/12
of action, & suspense. I’ll talk more about this next week, but my research into the roots of violence, & the treatment for it, was key to my understanding of Livia’s nature, her backstory, & her recovery. This whole project is like an illustration of her journey.
6/12
01:08 AM - Jul 15, 2023
Rich TypesandPatterns
A
thread 7/12
To end this week’s topic, I’ll post a music video that to me represents the ideals of the Elijian movement. I needed something I could listen to everyday that invoked their community, its simplicity & its majesty. It’s an orchestral piece that comes from the 1985 movie
7/12
Rich TypesandPatterns
A
thread 8/12
Witness, starring Harrison Ford as a big city detective who’s protecting an Amish eyewitness to a murder. He goes to their village, & doesn’t seem to fit in, nor does he seem welcome. One day, a couple marries, & the community gathers to build them a barn, in just a few
8/12
Rich TypesandPatterns
A
thread 9/12
hours, by working together. Ford is asked to join in, & since he’s a carpenter in real life, he does rather well. As the day progresses, he bonds with the others, & starts to realize their simple way of life makes a lot of sense after all. Maurice Jarre wrote the score,
9/12
01:09 AM - Jul 15, 2023
Rich TypesandPatterns
A
thread 10/12
with synthesizer for the scene, but he also wrote a version for full orchestra, which I think sounds much more like how #Xena composer Joseph LoDuca would arrange it. Australian director Peter Weir used Pachelbel’s Canon in D as the temp track for Jarre’s score.
10/12
01:09 AM - Jul 15, 2023
Rich TypesandPatterns
A
thread 11/12
First, I’ll post the link to the scene itself, the most famous one from the film, if you want to see it in context, with a light synthesizer arrangement. Then I’ll post the orchestral version:
https://youtu.be/BL_X7GelX5Q
11/12
01:10 AM - Jul 15, 2023
Rich TypesandPatterns
A
thread 12/12
And now the full orchestral version used for this project (I never get tired of listening to it!):
https://youtu.be/vxGblY3oUOI
12/12
Maurice Jarre soundtrack Building The Barn Orchestral Version - YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/embed/vxGblY3oUOI

01:11 AM - Jul 15, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}