Ellie Kane
A
Been thinking a lot recently about politics. When did we start being so focussed on the politics of economy rather than the politics of compassion?

How can we return to the job of government being to make peoples lives better not just to ‘increase’ GDP
02:29 PM - Feb 17, 2023
Tuesday
A
In response to Ellie Kane.
Just came across this today. it’s looking like it started with this memo, in the US, in 1971. Democracy, for the people, was seen as attacking corporate America. Tbh, I haven’t been able to get through the whole thing - I just can’t right now.

https://www.greenpeace.org...
12:57 PM - Feb 18, 2023 (Edited)
Jack Weir
A
Thatcherism, which we still haven't shaken off.

It's a neoliberal thing where the success of a country is measured by seemingly infinite GDP growth.

Unfortunately, high GDP doesn't necessarily equal a happy, prosperous population.
02:51 PM - Feb 17, 2023
Ellie Kane
A
In response to Jack Weir.
Exactly that, we need to change the narrative somehow. Not sure how but we do!
02:53 PM - Feb 17, 2023
Tracey Taylor-Maki
A
I think it starts with whom we choose to elect to lead us and their agenda. I also think that a honest and somewhat objective press is important, as is a thorough vetting of candidates by a neutral party.
02:45 PM - Feb 17, 2023
Ellie Kane
A
In response to Tracey Taylor-Maki.
I think leaders are important, we’ve somehow decided that only ‘economic competence’ matters though rather than empathy and compassion.

I think media matters a lot, I remember Labour getting hammered on economy and that’s all it’s been about since
02:48 PM - Feb 17, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}