Matt Egan he/him/his
A
19 states want to be able to SEIZE MEDICAL RECORDS FROM ANY STATE TO CHARGE PEOPLE WHO GO OUT OF STATE FOR ABORTION OR GENDER AFFIRMING MEDICAL CARE. FROM ANY STATE. Let that sink in. Say you go to a neighboring state, 19 states want to be able to SEIZE records to charge you under home state laws😱
09:50 PM - Jul 17, 2023
Anton Brakhage
A
In response to Matt Egan he/him/his.
What they're moving toward is akin to a modern Fugitive Slave Act: a law forcing Blue states to turn over anyone Red states want to victimize, in violation of their own laws.

The attempt to enforce Slave States' will on Free States via the Fugitive Slave Act was a major step toward the Civil War.
09:57 PM - Jul 17, 2023
Matt Egan he/him/his
A
In response to Anton Brakhage.
One would think this is a blatant and obvious violation of HIPAA laws, I hope there's already a class action lawsuit against the people behind this unbelievable violation of the right to medical privacy, regardless of what state you live in. This infuriating, I'm almost shocked they would do this.
10:02 PM - Jul 17, 2023
Melissa Griffith ☕ aka Masker
A
In response to Matt Egan he/him/his.
It will be an uphill battle. It's complicated legally and medically.(privacy laws on the fed level).

They will try, and some states put laws on the books to make sure that info would not be shared with other states.

These folks are hedging to get a de facto national ban.
09:57 PM - Jul 17, 2023
Matt Egan he/him/his
A
In response to Melissa Griffith ☕ aka Masker.
Exactly. My state, Colorado, has the right to reproductive health care written directly into the state constitution, so Gov Polis will fight it to the very and do everything possible to stop it. That said, I've no doubt a national ban is exactly what they're going for. Little by little...
10:06 PM - Jul 17, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}