Patty Marie
A
thread 1/10
I once told this story on Facebook:
I grew up in the LGBTQIA+ community in the 80s. We were part of a non-denominational church that served the community and attended regularly. There we met Mike, who went by Nikki when on stage.

Mike was a big, brawly man. An imposing figure at about 6'5.
11:41 AM - Jul 21, 2023
Patty Marie
A
thread 2/10
The type of man most people would say, "jeez, I wouldn't want to meet him in a dark ally" because he looked tough. But those who knew Mike knew that he had a big heart and infectious laugh.

Mike loved to tell stories. He was a mortician, so many of his stories were about things he encountered on
11:42 AM - Jul 21, 2023
Patty Marie
A
thread 3/10
the job. Mike and my mom became fast friends. He became known to us as "Uncle Mike" and she regularly saw his drag show. Kids weren't allowed because they were solely in gay bars in the "old days." But I lived for her recounts of Nikki's gowns and performances.
11:42 AM - Jul 21, 2023 (Edited)
Patty Marie
A
thread 4/10
It's been years so my memory is fuzzy, but I did get to meet Nikki once. She was gorgeous! She had long, flowing auburn hair, flawless skin, and legs for days! I thought she was the most glamorous woman I had ever met.

Uncle Mike loved my sister and I, but he was closer to me.
11:43 AM - Jul 21, 2023
Patty Marie
A
thread 5/10
My sister was almost 2 years younger and was a bit more shy and reserved when it came to embracing the community. But Uncle Mike treated both of us like we were his blood nieces. He used to tell me how much he looked forward to doing my makeup and helping me pick out a prom dress. He promised
11:43 AM - Jul 21, 2023
Patty Marie
A
thread 6/10
I would look like a movie star! I was only about 10 at the time, but I couldn't wait for Uncle Mike's help.

Sadly a few years later Mike contracted AIDS, like so many of our gay uncles. Through her work with the church, my mom visited many AIDS patients when they were hospitalized.
11:44 AM - Jul 21, 2023
Patty Marie
A
thread 7/10
We visited Uncle Mike a few times and it broke my heart to see him in a hospital bed, but I treasured those visits. I remember holding his hand, hugging him, and giving him a kiss on the cheek shortly before he passed.

My mom was shamed by many family and friends for not only spending time with
11:45 AM - Jul 21, 2023
Patty Marie
A
thread 8/10
Uncle Mike while sick, but all of the other gay men with AIDS. And when they found out she let us say goodbye to our chosen uncles, she really took heat. She was constantly asked if she was scared that we would get AIDS. With all of the fear and homophobia of the 80s
11:46 AM - Jul 21, 2023
Patty Marie
A
thread 9/10
it's honestly a miracle that no one ever reported her to CPS or the police.

I think about Uncle Mike often and about once a year I scour the internet hoping to find promo photos of Nikki. She was a pretty big deal in the drag circuit in town but I've never been able to.
Patty Marie
A
thread 10/10
I hope you're resting peacefully, Uncle Mike. Love you forever. 💜

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}