Neal Lewis
A
I'm not surprised by the result of the Tulsa Race Massacre reparations case.

We cannot rely on a white-centric justice system to deliver us the economic justice it only reserves for white people.

Black folks need to dominate OK politics, local and statewide, in order to create our own justice.
09:45 AM - Jul 09, 2023
stephanie roberts
A
In response to Neal Lewis.
Black people make 7.8% of the population in Oklahoma. Your spout is an impossibility.
09:57 AM - Jul 09, 2023
Neal Lewis
A
Been away from social media for a while so just now seeing this.

With a plan and focus, I don't believe this is impossible.

In my opinion, it starts with local elections and consolidating power at that level. Then use that power and influence win seats at the state level. Then the work begins...
In response to stephanie roberts.
11:50 AM - Jul 21, 2023
stephanie roberts
A
In response to Neal Lewis.
i'm willing to hear any example where a 7% minority was able to gain power and influence over an unwilling majority. Du Bois saw this. where oppressed people regain power for themselves it's because they are the populace majority. I am thinking specifically of India.
12:51 AM - Jul 22, 2023
Neal Lewis
A
Is this not the case in large, majority Black swathes of the Deep South with wealthy, white minority populations? Part of me is skeptical about the viability of using their own system to exact justice yet the other part still thinks its worth trying.

We're a patient people, as history has shown.
07:20 PM - Jul 24, 2023
Jonathan Hecht (He/Him)
A
I think the secret sauce is building and leveraging coalitions. The examples that jump immediately to mind are the campaign for Barack Obama, or Zooey Zephyr in Montana, or several places that have had Jewish mayors and leaders despite being extremely minority populations.
Difficult, not impossible.
09:39 AM - Jul 25, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}