RobPalmerIRL (he/him/his)
A
thread 1/9
Okay this thread is needed. I know that there are anti-LGBTQ+ bigots out there whom will say and do outrageous things. However, there are some "allies" that are perpetuating the stereotypes when calling these people out.
04:03 PM - Jul 21, 2023
A
thread 2/9
First off, the LGBTQ+ community is made up of a lot of genders, races, nationalities, religions, etc. It pretty much is a fact of life. Those bigots also have a hatred for one, more, all of these groups, and believe they're supreme.
04:05 PM - Jul 21, 2023
A
thread 3/9
When people whom are "allies" want to call these people out, they resort to the same slurs and slander when dealing with these bigots, either they're aware or not, that they're bringing more harm to the LGBTQ+ community.
04:06 PM - Jul 21, 2023
A
thread 4/9
For example Lindsey Graham (R-SC) has made fun of because of his sexuality. However, his anti-LGBTQ+ stance should have been called out naturally, and not with slams like "Ms. Lindsey" which is a slam not only against women, but the Trans community.
04:07 PM - Jul 21, 2023
A
thread 5/9
Also another trope is saying that said anti-LGBTQ+ bigot is closeted themselves. This is very much dangerous. I am aware that self-hating people exist, but they too gotta be called out based on their behavior, and not something they cannot change, and have zero control over.
04:08 PM - Jul 21, 2023
A
thread 6/9
If you wish to be an true ally, it's the same with BBIMP, the Jews, the Latino/Latinx, and other communities. Shut up and listen! If you have legit questions ask. If you're not sure of something ask! If you know you did wrong own up to it!
04:09 PM - Jul 21, 2023
A
thread 7/9
The best thing you can do if you are guilty of even passing memes of the Rainbow Dress (I will not echo, or quote spout because I am not going to allow it to live) is to own up to it, apologize, and learn from it...and to not do it again.
04:10 PM - Jul 21, 2023
A
thread 8/9
If you wish to be an ally, spread the word, donate, or volunteer for the Trevor Project and other LGBTQ+ charities/organizations.
04:14 PM - Jul 21, 2023
A
thread 9/9
Remember if you need to call somebody out, it's okay to call them out on their actions, and use their words against them. However, it's not okay to perpetuate hurtful stereotypes to make your point.
04:15 PM - Jul 21, 2023
Susan Simon
A
In response to RobPalmerIRL (he/him/his).
Thanks for a needed thread. I always felt queasy back in the day when I overheard this kind of thing. No more silent disapproval. We need 2 all speak up when we see/hear it. There's plenty of ammunition in deeds + words 2 call someone out; using stereotypes just harms those we are trying 2 support.
05:53 PM - Jul 21, 2023
Melinda Nowikowski
A
Most of them are horrible enough people, or behave badly enough there's plenty to call out without resorting to homophobic slang, images, or tropes. Their behavior is the problem, and you can be plenty salty about that without it.
05:07 PM - Jul 21, 2023
Oliver Gibson
A
Thank you for this insightful thread. I have some things to ponder now. Even though I do not do most of the counterproductive things you mentioned, at least one of them I have done and will reevaluate my behaviour.
04:29 PM - Jul 21, 2023 (Edited)
A
In response to Oliver Gibson.
You're welcome, if you're learning, at least get some help though. Because trying to learn everything at once isn't going to happen, and change isn't going to happen overnight.
04:38 PM - Jul 21, 2023
{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}