Cynthia Williams
A
thread 1/7
One last trip down Twitter memory lane:

I joined Twitter in 2006 when it 1st became a mentioned app. Twitter was a ghost town. Not much happening. When a person joined Twitter, it was customary that their 1st tweet was , "Hello, world!". Hello, world was also the greeting when using the Internet.
07:42 AM - Jul 24, 2023
Cynthia Williams
A
thread 2/7
I believe my 1st tweet was, "Hello, world!".

I believe my second tweet was "Can anyone see me?"

Only 1 or 2 people responded to my messages. Not a huge response. LOL! But felt exciting and great to send a message out into the world that anyone on Twitter could see.
07:45 AM - Jul 24, 2023
Cynthia Williams
A
thread 3/7
I told all my friends at the time about this new app I found called Twitter. I even told my boss at my corporate job, "Twitter is awesome! Let's get the department using it."

My boss thought I was a certified nutcase.

"What is Twit...? Stop playing games, Cindy."

No one cared about Twitter.
07:50 AM - Jul 24, 2023
Cynthia Williams
A
thread 4/7
I remember when I asked for permission to put Twitter on my Blackberry.

I was told, "No!."

I remember when I asked to put Twitter on my 1st iPhone.

Again, the answer was "No!."
07:52 AM - Jul 24, 2023 (Edited)
Cynthia Williams
A
thread 5/7
And everyday, I would come home and log into Twitter. I was starting to get a following. I danced in my home when I reached my 1st 100 followers.

Twitter was growing overseas.

I had accss to the world!
07:57 AM - Jul 24, 2023
Cynthia Williams
A
thread 6/7
To me losing "Twitter" is like watching one part of my life fade into the sunset. Twitter was more than an app for me. Twitter provided me with my first time, as a quirky young person, finding others who seemed to like me. Even though they were strangers...a group of faceless nice ppl "liked" me.
08:02 AM - Jul 24, 2023 (Edited)
Cynthia Williams
A
thread 7/7
So, please bear with me if I seem hung up today on this Twitter brand change. I spent 17 years on Twitter. That's longer than my marriage lasted. It hurts me to say goodbye to Larry the Bird and my memories of the fun times on Twitter. I feel very emotional today.

I need a day to grieve. 🙏🏾
08:08 AM - Jul 24, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}