K Ray
A
In response to MaryAnn WW.
From family experience, male IBM employees could not work there if wives worked outside the home. (Bad for corporate image; wanted perception that wives didn't HAVE to work, even though the male employee didn't make enough.) Single female IBM employees lost their jobs once they got married.
04:49 PM - Jul 28, 2023
MaryAnn WW
A
In response to K Ray.
Interesting...I didn't know that about IBM. Thanks for posting.
01:36 PM - Jul 29, 2023
Mystixa Twitch livestream DJ ??
A
Meh a lot of things were and are legal that don't support making already tough decisions. Extrapolating that out to explain other people's stories to make a point lessens your point and the actual harm done by those restrictions.
03:39 PM - Jul 28, 2023
Reet Petite
A
Another huge reason our foremothers stayed in bad marriages is that the legal system made it extremely difficult for women to obtain divorces.
And as we speak. Republican lawmakers are very busy once again shutting down no-fault divorce.
01:43 PM - Jul 28, 2023
Pam
A
Actually, I think it's more clear to say that society was designed to keep women dependent....and they are trying to do it again.
01:19 PM - Jul 28, 2023
Dee Jordan
A
A married older relative who was a NYC teacher hid her 1957 pregnancy from her principal because women had to leave their jobs immediately when they were pregnant and were put on two year unpaid leave. And women had to quit their jobs, in many fields, once they got married, in the years before that.
01:08 PM - Jul 28, 2023
MaryAnn WW
A
In response to Dee Jordan.
There are so many of these stories, yet almost unknown today. So much, too much of our history is hidden &/or neglected. I lived some of this, experienced some & fought for women's rights. Thanks for your response!
01:11 PM - Jul 28, 2023
Donna
A
This is all true. I lived it!😠
12:53 PM - Jul 28, 2023
🤘 Raymond M. Black 🤘 🐉
A
Women couldn't get a credit card in their own name until 1974. Women could legally get raped by their husbands until 1993 in some states.
12:50 PM - Jul 28, 2023
MaryAnn WW
A
In response to 🤘 Raymond M. Black 🤘 🐉.
Exactly! Thank you!
01:01 PM - Jul 28, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}