RobPalmerIRL (he/him/his)
A
thread 1/15
Folks, the past few days I was thinking about mental health particuarly for the LGTBQ+ Youth who need the resources the most. Yes in my activism against #KOSA this was something that really sat heavily on my mind. I did think of it, but I wanted to wait until I was sure I knew what to say.
08:57 PM - Jul 30, 2023
A
thread 2/15
It's not secret that mental health care in America has always been stigmatized, even to the point where Reagan defunded the facilities that were equipped to handle such patients. However, Youth mental health is just as important as even they have problems as well.
08:59 PM - Jul 30, 2023
A
thread 3/15
Our youth's mental health is at an all time crises. This is not hyperbole, nor is it being over the top dramatic. 2023 has been a year where kids, and teens have endured traumatic events. The problem is we have people who want to help, but are being blocked by those who relish in the chaos.
09:00 PM - Jul 30, 2023
A
thread 4/15
First with the mass shootings, this has actually caused more harm to children. The worst ones being in Uvalde, TX and in Nashville, TN just recently. However both the maladministered states refused to do anything about it, and is on a death march to try to arm even domestic violence suspects.
09:01 PM - Jul 30, 2023
A
thread 5/15
Also bullying is still a factor with many kids unwilling to turn to an adult for help. This frustrates efforts because those who want to help, and keep asking what is going on, are getting zero answers. It also doesn't help when Zero tolerance penalizes a bully victim even if they've done nothing.
09:03 PM - Jul 30, 2023
A
thread 6/15
There also have been incidences where teachers have ignored the pleas for help, or victims end up getting it worse because the bullies have lashed out in anger...and this is something that had caused suicides in children when it didn't need to happen.
09:04 PM - Jul 30, 2023
A
thread 7/15
Finally the internet has played a role, but not an ultimate role in bullying. That is, cyberbullying, extortion, etc is easier because the bullies are behind a keyboard not caring whom their victims are. This is a lot worse on social media where the entire world can see what's going on.
09:05 PM - Jul 30, 2023
A
thread 8/15
What can we do about it? There's a lot. First the community must demand a SAFE, FREE, and FAIR educational system that takes claims of bullying seriously, and actually not revictimize the bully victim by punishing them when things go sideways.
09:07 PM - Jul 30, 2023
A
thread 9/15
Also, parents MUST have a talk with their kids, and actually teach them right from wrong (see my thread on Parental responsibility on internet use). This ultimately is where things must happen.
09:07 PM - Jul 30, 2023
A
thread 10/15
Third, parents, just talk to your kids, and see how they're doing. Even if they're in their teenage years, you're doing them a service when you ask them what's going on. Don't be nosy or confrontational. Just be natural, and let things flow.
09:09 PM - Jul 30, 2023
A
thread 11/15
Keep in mind when you talk to your children, ask them about what's going on, what they're looking up on the internet, or if they're aware of what cyberbullying is. This would open up a whole new line and you can protect them better.
09:10 PM - Jul 30, 2023
A
thread 12/15
On the same token...parents who discount their kids, or throw them out because of whom they are pretty much are scum of the earth, and should know better. A parent cannot be a bully against their kid for any reason.
09:10 PM - Jul 30, 2023
A
thread 13/15
Next, teach your kids internet safety, and also keep aware of what's going on online. Yes, this goes back to that thread. You only know what you know. Also if you find that your kid is having troubles, then talk to them and come up with a plan of action.
09:12 PM - Jul 30, 2023 (Edited)
A
thread 14/15
Finally, write your local/state legislators and demand that they bring in funds to adequately, and properly address teen/youth mental health care. Listen, I lost my then 19-year-old nephew in 2017 to suicide, I do not want any parent, grand parent, etc to lose their kids even if they're LGBTQ+.
09:14 PM - Jul 30, 2023
A
thread 15/15
Being a parent is hard yes, however, being kid is just as hard...if not harder for youth who are having mental health problems. Once we turn this corner, we can actually become that little more perfect union.
09:15 PM - Jul 30, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}