Ellen Leigh
A
Found on Pinterest, should be read and understood by everyone. It describes the absolute torture and breaking process that enslaved people were forced to endure from the moment of their capture to the day they either died or were emancipated.
12:47 PM - Jul 31, 2023
Alison Jean
A
In response to Ellen Leigh.
This book about the Hemingses (Thomas Jefferson’s slaves/family) really opened my eyes to the mental evils of slavery, that even “lucky” slaves experienced. It’s a fantastic book with TONS of research and references, and if you haven’t read it you should add it to your list immediately!
05:50 PM - Jul 31, 2023
Ellen Leigh
A
In response to Alison Jean.
Thanks, I will add it to my list!
05:55 PM - Jul 31, 2023
Rosetta
A
In response to Ellen Leigh.
1/3 Let’s also not forget how Black infants and toddlers were used for alligator bait while alive, or that girls were expected to have a minimum of 5 kids by the time they were 20 starting at age 13, or the normal practice of “buck breaking”, whereby the overseer or owner would forcibly rape
01:35 PM - Jul 31, 2023 (Edited)
Rosetta
A
In response to Rosetta.
2/3 an enslaved Black man in front of the entire enslaved community as a way to keep them inline, or the fact that enslaved women were forced to breastfeed the master’s child while her own child starved to death, or that cannibalism of the enslaved was so popular that they wrote a cookbook entitled
01:38 PM - Jul 31, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}