Anton Brakhage
A
thread 1/3
Something people need to understand about the money and supplies that we're giving to Ukraine.

They aren't charity.
02:33 AM - Aug 01, 2023
Anton Brakhage
A
thread 2/3
Ukraine deserves our support even if we stood to gain nothing by it, but that support is not only ensuring the survival of Ukraine. It is stopping Putin-and every other tyrant who would take his success as precedent-here, instead of when they invade somewhere we'd be obliged to defend directly.
02:37 AM - Aug 01, 2023
Anton Brakhage
A
thread 3/3
I don't delude myself that Ukraine is fighting on our behalf. Ukraine is fighting for its own survival. But in the course of doing so, they are shielding the whole world.

So I do not want to hear one more Goddamn bit of whining that its too expensive, or taking too long. ITS NOT US PAYING THE PRICE
02:38 AM - Aug 01, 2023
Lorraine Martin
D
It’s funny how we can find all this money and resources for another country,but not for the ppl of this country,something wrong here is it not 🤷‍♀️
In response to Anton Brakhage.
05:03 AM - Aug 01, 2023
Anton Brakhage
A
In response to Lorraine Martin.
But if you'd rather leave Ukraine to the wolves, because they're not "our" people so they don't matter, just remember that next will probably be Poland. And you may want to abandon them too, but we are obligated by treaty to defend them.
05:21 AM - Aug 01, 2023
Anton Brakhage
A
Also, this is a classic false choice. You imply we must either support Ukraine or support "our" people, no other options. But like most such "choices" its a false dilemma designed to pressure people to support your position.

We could, for example, pay for both by taxing the rich their fair share.
05:14 AM - Aug 01, 2023
Anton Brakhage
A
1. I already explained the benefits to us, which you ignored.

2. I don't decide whether people deserve help based on what lines on a map they were born within.

3. This is just Trump's "America First". A philosophy which is not only heartless, but self-defeating given the world's interconectedness.
05:08 AM - Aug 01, 2023
Anton Brakhage
A
In response to Anton Brakhage.
Or I guess in your case "UK First". Same shit, different flag.
05:08 AM - Aug 01, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}