Eric Gordy
A
Esad was a detention camp guard during the war in Bosnia and Herzegovina. After serving a sentence for war crimes he wants to apologise to the people he abused. He is not greeted with open arms.

I don't think I can show the students this film in my class tomorrow, it is too disturbing.
The Unforgiven: A War Criminal´s Remorse - YouTube

#Yugoslavia #War #ICTY #Bosnia #reconciliation Esad Landzo was convicted of torture, war crimes and crimes against humanity at the International Criminal Tri...

10:08 AM - Feb 19, 2023
Sue
A
In response to Eric Gordy.
Actions have consequences. Sometimes, one decision will scar us or/and another person for life.

The best we can do is learn from the past, and I hope we do.
10:17 AM - Feb 19, 2023
Eric Gordy
A
In response to Sue.
This occurred to me, he was expecting something he couldn’t get from people who couldn’t give it. Also not a very uplifting message for the students though!
10:24 AM - Feb 19, 2023
Sue
A
This journey called life can be hard. What we saw were people on their different journeys to find peace. These paths don't always converge. Facing and owning up to one's past took courage & that's a significant step ahead. Teaching is hard. Hope you find your way to pass on the lesson.
12:01 PM - Feb 19, 2023
Eric Gordy
A
In response to Sue.
The most interesting person in the film to me is Esad's father, who won't forgive him but also says that he should not ask for forgiveness from anyone else because people from the other side have not asked for it.
12:14 PM - Feb 19, 2023
Sue
A
this gets to the very complicated nature of identity, rgt? esp its embodied form-clip was soaked w/emotions (shame -extn from the moral sins of one's blood/family, rage..), intersected w/the more collectively/ethnically constituted expression? ("other side...not asked for it)? just talk'g out loud
10:42 AM - Feb 21, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}