Bun the Franky
A
This is a pretty important point. Yes, there are "cheap" EVs. Yes, there are EVs with decent range. But many people can't get one until we have EVs available for $35k with decent space and a range over 300 miles. They are coming, but they definitely aren't here yet.
Jay Carpenter🎸🎶 @JayCarp
The problem I have with EV's and this includes TESLA is the cost for what fits our needs in both size and range. The ones we have looked at, researched and tested are all North of 60K right now.
Heading into retirement in the next few years we cannot justify the expense. Our cars are paid off.
05:53 PM - Aug 06, 2023
06:01 PM - Aug 06, 2023
Dad For Ever
A
In response to Bun the Franky.
Expected in the market within 2 years:

https://www.theguardian.co...
01:28 AM - Aug 07, 2023
BryanOfOhio
A
So 300 miles is umm, not enough for the family city car??? Agreed that the price is too high, but the miles sounds like more of a talking point used by anti-battery people.
09:20 PM - Aug 06, 2023
Bun the Franky
A
In response to BryanOfOhio.
Definitely a city car (an ONLY city car) could have a lot more limited range. Personally, the car my company pays for is a cheap economy car with a 12 gallon tanks and not very efficient and it's getting about 320 per fill. So it's not a bad metric for a general vehicle that can go most places.
09:27 PM - Aug 06, 2023
Jay Carpenter🎸🎶
A
EV's are the current hot button item and like many things the price is reflective of interest & greed.
So until they are competitively priced vs gas powered + Gas only the wealthy will have them. They need to cost less than the equivalent gas powered to entice folks to buy.
07:12 PM - Aug 06, 2023
Bun the Franky
A
In response to Jay Carpenter🎸🎶.
I'd only argue that if the choice is spending maybe $2k more for a vehicle that fits all the criteria and is "better" for the environment (and results in several hundred dollars in gas savings every year), people will make the choice. But I see what you mean.
07:42 PM - Aug 06, 2023
hal
A
$35K may as well be $1M to most people who have to rely on their cars.
06:02 PM - Aug 06, 2023
Bun the Franky
A
In response to hal.
True, I picked that price point as a midline "reasonable" cost as well as 300 miles as a reasonable range for what we think of as an economy car. That's said, lower prices and better range are the key. Reliability (outside of Tesla) isn't that big an issue these days though. It's pretty even.
06:14 PM - Aug 06, 2023
Socio-gen
A
In response to hal.
$35K is 1.5 times my annual income, so I'll get an EV when I can buy a used one in good condition on FB Marketplace or Craigslist for less than $5000.

Or whatever the inflationary equivalent of $5000 will be in the roughly 15-20 years it'll take to be "affordable" to poor folk.
06:28 PM - Aug 06, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}