Jess Martin
A
thread 1/22
So, I'd better start off my #truffle weekend adventures or @noblerot @bron1us will be on my back again.

As you know me by now, I tend to write a lot in my threads. So I'll start off in the town of #Marulan

Here's a photo of a typical country homestead. There are no truffles in this thread 😂
07:56 PM - Aug 08, 2023
Jess Martin
A
thread 2/22
But prepping for a #TruffleHuntWeekend requires some preparation. So this was my preparation - #cashmere gloves from #JohnstonsOfElgin @julsey @hereforthepopcorn

Because the #SouthernTablelands is cold. Freezing. @minnie @anndraulans

#TruffleWear @noblerot @josefkonrad @bron1us
07:59 PM - Aug 08, 2023
Jess Martin
A
thread 3/22
I forgot to take photos of my wellies or gumboots so you'll just have to imagine I was wearing them that day @noblerot @josefkonrad @bron1us

I was the only one prepared enough to have this on the day because most Sydneysiders don't know what a day out in the country involves. #TruffleWear @minnie
08:01 PM - Aug 08, 2023
Jess Martin
A
thread 4/22
I also took a photo of the time I got up - around 5:30am but managed to screenshot this as PROOF that it was an early start for us @minnie @noblerot @josefkonrad

So while you were all awake in your part of the world, I was too! @hereforthepopcorn

#TruffleHuntingWeekend
08:05 PM - Aug 08, 2023
Jess Martin
A
thread 5/22
So the pretty town of #Marulan is down the main highway connecting Sydney to Melbourne.

Since they built the bypass, Marulan has been quiet though you can still here the noise from the highway.

As you can see, this is the main street, and the trees are bare @hereforthepopcorn @bron1us
08:19 PM - Aug 08, 2023
Jess Martin
A
thread 6/22
We ended up at the only cafe open that morning in #Marulan because we were quite early but early is good in the country because roads are generally shit. And internet coverage is shittier.

I love the mural on the wall @minnie @josefkonrad @hereforthepopcorn @bron1us so pretty.
08:24 PM - Aug 08, 2023
Jess Martin
A
thread 7/22
Being a good old country cafe, they all have sorts of knick-knacks of knitted stuff. I liked these pairs of socks they sold - sushi and donuts.

Hmmm...I wonder who these are for @Minnie ?

@giordana @SashiTh_03

#Marulan #TruffleHuntingWeekend
08:25 PM - Aug 08, 2023
Jess Martin
A
thread 8/22
I also loved their collection of dog cushion covers and beanies.

And I really was tempted to buy a beanie but I have several already and I was being mindful of ensuring to buy natural fibre when given the choice so they breakdown and don't contribute to the plastic apocalypse.

#DogsOfSpoutible
08:27 PM - Aug 08, 2023
Jess Martin
A
thread 9/22
Like most country towns, #Marulan has a commodity to send to the big smoke. In this case, it seems to be stones and building materials. Like this big rock from their quarry.
08:28 PM - Aug 08, 2023
Jess Martin
A
thread 10/22
Being bike fanatics, we came across a building which had hung some good old steel bikes on the wall.

Could not really recognise the brands but they looked pretty funky. They probably should do a Tour De Hume or Tour De Marulan sometime....

#TourDeFrance #TDF #BikeClub #steelisreal
08:29 PM - Aug 08, 2023
Jess Martin
A
thread 11/22
And I had to take a phot of this tyre swan.

Pretty! @bron1us @noblerot

Have a look closely at the notice on the front door - I love #countryliving ! @minnie @hereforthepopcorn
08:31 PM - Aug 08, 2023
Jess Martin
A
thread 12/22
The old #Marulan Post Office has now been turned into an antiques shop.

This, of course, reflects the centralisation policies of our myopic governments. They want to privatise #AusPost but they don't understand that accelerating the deaths of country towns doesn't help city folks either.

#auspol
08:32 PM - Aug 08, 2023
Jess Martin
A
thread 13/22
As we walked along the main street, we came across some pretty native birds that were flighty. Shy things. I couldn't capture them quickly because they saw us coming and flew away.

#BirdLife #AussieBirds
08:34 PM - Aug 08, 2023
Jess Martin
A
thread 14/22
We wandered down, magnetically pulled to the station at #Marulan which is still a working station.

It's the station before the big one at #Goulburn on the #SouthernHighlands line.

The railways were the lifeblood of these country towns but we noticed there weren't too many services. Pity. #auspol
08:35 PM - Aug 08, 2023
Jess Martin
A
thread 15/22
Some info on the railway station at #Marulan which is now heritage listed.
08:36 PM - Aug 08, 2023
Jess Martin
A
thread 16/22
A commemorative stone marking 150 years of continuous railway service to #Marulan ('tis a big thing here!)
08:37 PM - Aug 08, 2023
Jess Martin
A
thread 17/22
I thought this was the railway station dunny @minnie but my SO reckons it was the signal box.

I dunno. What do you think? @hereforthepopcorn @giordana @noblerot @SashiTh_03

#RailwayStations #Strine
08:38 PM - Aug 08, 2023
Jess Martin
A
thread 18/22
This is the railway platform heading south to Goulburn.

I managed to film some trains passing by which are now on my new Youtube channel @minnie because I know how interested you are in our trains bear, like Biden. @sstan99 @josefkonrad @hereforthepopcorn

#Marulan #TruffleHuntingWeekend
08:40 PM - Aug 08, 2023
Jess Martin
A
thread 19/22
I just love the aesthetics on this post - the wrought iron pattern on the post of the railway station.

Very...Victorian @minnie ?
08:41 PM - Aug 08, 2023
Jess Martin
A
thread 20/22
A new park was recently built at #Marulan to help travellers like us.

I thought to take a photo of this because I have NFI why a humpback whale would appear on the side of a toilet wall when MARULAN IS NOWHERE NEAR THE COAST!!!

#GotThatOffMyChest @apfel_sarah @minnie @hereforthepopcorn @noblerot
08:43 PM - Aug 08, 2023
Jess Martin
A
thread 21/22
After #Marulan we headed to our destination with some dodgy country roads and this was the landscape before us.

Soft, undulating hills and it was a cloudy day.
08:44 PM - Aug 08, 2023
Jess Martin
A
thread 22/22
As we climbed higher, the grey clouds seemed more present so the chances of rain were high (and it did rain). But then I lost my internet connection so we were worried we'd get stuck in the middle of nowhere.

But that's another story.

Thus endeth this thread on #Marulan @minnie @sstan99
08:46 PM - Aug 08, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}