Jess Martin
A
thread 1/19
After the #TruffleHunt it was time for the #TruffleLunch on #Gundungurra country.

It was held al fresco in an old workers' shed on the property. The property was part of an 1820s land grant.

Another truffly thread @minnie @noblerot @josefkonrad @giordana @doajim @anndraulans @joannasays @bron1us
07:24 PM - Aug 10, 2023
Jess Martin
A
thread 2/19
The current owners have managed to reclaim bits of the old shed. But you can see the remnants of the stone building and the stone walls which were probably built from rocks found around the property. The unevenness added a bit of poignancy to the ambience.
07:27 PM - Aug 10, 2023 (Edited)
Jess Martin
A
thread 3/19
The fireplace is the hearth of any building built before the onset of electricity. So it was good to see the fireplace being used as it was meant to be @sstan99

As mentioned, it is winter in Australia, and this lunch was held outdoors. Being exposed to the elements was part of the experience.
07:29 PM - Aug 10, 2023
Jess Martin
A
thread 4/19
The owners used to outsource their catering but they now do it in-house. I think it was brilliant. The serving of lunch was very much a family affair @noblerot

They seemed to be a well-travelled family so their culinary expectations for their consumer market was on point.
07:34 PM - Aug 10, 2023
Jess Martin
A
thread 5/19
There were four tables with benches (always good to generate conversation and small talk @minnie ) at the lunch and each table had #truffle information. This one contains the cycle of the #TruffleSeason in Australia @noblerot @josefkonrad
07:36 PM - Aug 10, 2023
Jess Martin
A
thread 6/19
@noblerot This information, I thought, was brilliant. This is a #truffle aroma wheel and reminds me of cheese and wine wheels @hereforthepopcorn

My aromas were fresh herbal, earthy, varietal for the freshly dug truffles; and musty/fishy when it came to smelling a rotten truffle. @josefkonrad
07:39 PM - Aug 10, 2023
Jess Martin
A
thread 7/19
So our first course was cauliflower soup - blended so well there were no lumpy bits @anndraulans @minnie

Fresh cream on top and a good serving of truffles. 😋

What a way to start of the lunch with a bang! Warm and filling.

@hereforthepopcorn @noblerot @josefkonrad @sstan99 @giordana
07:41 PM - Aug 10, 2023
Jess Martin
A
thread 8/19
Next was the cheese board (!)

@giordana OMG this was the truffle honey drizzled on the parmesan. 🤤 The best thing was, THEY HAVE THEIR OWN HIVES!!! So fresh honey from the property! Brilliant! 🍯

@hereforthepopcorn @noblerot @josefkonrad @sstan99 @apfel_sarah @minnie @anndraulans @joannasays
07:43 PM - Aug 10, 2023
Jess Martin
A
thread 9/19
And you can see the batons of #truffles on the brie. 😋

If you go to Insta/Youtube and hashtag #TruffleSeason you'll see "how to truffle up your soft cheese" videos.

@giordana @hereforthepopcorn @noblerot @josefkonrad @sstan99 @apfel_sarah @minnie @doajim @anndraulans @joannasays #cheeseclub
07:46 PM - Aug 10, 2023
Jess Martin
A
thread 10/19
After the cheese board came the #charcuterie board. We had a vegetarian at the table and I realised then that truffle is great for vegetarians (DUH!). So our meal wasn't meat-heavy.

@giordana @hereforthepopcorn @noblerot @josefkonrad @sstan99 @apfel_sarah @minnie @anndraulans @joannasays @doajim
07:48 PM - Aug 10, 2023
Jess Martin
A
thread 11/19
By this point, I was getting full. This is pumpkin lasagne with truffles. I only took a bite to make room for dessert. I gave the rest to SO.

@giordana @hereforthepopcorn @noblerot @josefkonrad @sstan99 @apfel_sarah @minnie @anndraulans @joannasays @doajim @bron1us
07:50 PM - Aug 10, 2023
Jess Martin
A
thread 12/19
I managed to take a photo of the pear, witlof, walnut salad drizzled with truffle honey. It was a very popular dish and I hope this dish inspires @minnie to let go of her donuts.

@giordana @hereforthepopcorn @noblerot @josefkonrad @sstan99 @apfel_sarah @anndraulans @joannasays @doajim @bron1us
07:52 PM - Aug 10, 2023 (Edited)
Jess Martin
A
thread 13/19
Before dessert, they had a "Guess the Truffle Weight" game for us - you can see the video on Youtube. But as you can see, people were drawn by the fireplace.

@giordana @hereforthepopcorn @noblerot @josefkonrad @sstan99 @apfel_sarah @minnie @anndraulans @joannasays @doajim @bron1us
07:54 PM - Aug 10, 2023
Jess Martin
A
thread 14/19
This is David the truffle hunter helping clear up the tables for dessert. By this point we were full and satisfied.

07:55 PM - Aug 10, 2023
Jess Martin
A
thread 15/19
This is Wendy, David's wife, helping clear the tables. She was a brilliant raconteur. She had a great story about the time she represented the region at a food festival 😂

07:58 PM - Aug 10, 2023
Jess Martin
A
thread 16/19
And time for dessert. This was the naked #pannacotta sans truffes. You can see how they shaved the truffle in my playlist.

Advice: Truffles go with all things fatty.

08:00 PM - Aug 10, 2023
Jess Martin
A
thread 17/19
I didn't get the son's name but he was our tour guide. This is him telling us how to clean truffles. He said to get a really nice scrubber from Bunnings (hardware store).

08:01 PM - Aug 10, 2023
Jess Martin
A
thread 18/19
And that was the end of the truffle lunch! They gave us a doggie bag of truffle fudge - too sweet for my taste but SO loved it.

08:02 PM - Aug 10, 2023
Jess Martin
A
thread 19/19
On the way back we got lost and found the sealed road which was several kms up towards Goulburn with a hair-raising turn to join the Hume.

Thus endeth this #truffle thread.

08:04 PM - Aug 10, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}