Jess Martin
A
@sstan99 @minnie @josefkonrad This was the tail end of my #kimbap for lunch.

I asked the proprietor for soy sauce and he said no, you don't put soy sauce because it isn't sushi and it's already salty.

I was a bit dubious. So how do you eat your kimbaps With soy sauce? Aye or Nay?

#KimbapEtiquette
11:22 PM - Aug 10, 2023
Minnie the Pooh
A
You’re not supposed to have soy sauce with Korean kimbap. It’s more like ghim- meaning the laver part - and bap which means many things. Rice, food, etc. Anyhoo when I make kimbap I do the classic - beef cooked sorta like bulgogi, spinach, danmuji, carrots. Each is salty.
In response to Jess Martin.
01:20 AM - Aug 11, 2023
Stewart Tan
A
In response to Minnie the Pooh.
Perhaps it’s habit (see a roll, dip in soy sauce).

Somehow, it reminds me of a story my uncle told us:

Hongkong has great food but don’t let the chef catch you adding seasoning to your meal or he may come out with his butcher knife 😬 (guess it’s an insult on his cooking)
09:40 AM - Aug 11, 2023
Minnie the Pooh
A
In response to Stewart Tan.
Let's cc @JessMartin on this. Apparently she likes her food super salty. Which is not good for her blood pressure.
04:30 PM - Aug 11, 2023
Jess Martin
A
In response to Stewart Tan.
Ooh! That reminds me of a story, I once visited this hole in a wall place serving HK style dishes. The chefs were angry with each other. I don't know any Cantonese, but you could hear the collective crowd go "Ooooh" when the chefs said something nasty.

I thought, will someone die by night's end?
07:37 PM - Aug 11, 2023
Jess Martin
A
In response to Minnie the Pooh.
Well you gotta post photos cos @sstan99 and I agree kimbap without soy sauce is a bit incomplete...
01:26 AM - Aug 11, 2023
Minnie the Pooh
A
In response to Jess Martin.
It’s really a picnic food. Or good in a bento box lunch. So no messy soy sauce to deal with.
01:29 AM - Aug 11, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}