Cynthia Williams
A
thread 1/17
This Saturday, I'd like to share positive story from my past. In honor of the desire across America to rid itself of Supreme Court Judge Clarence Thomas, I want to tell you about the time I met this gentke lady and what she told me about her life lessons learned because of Clarence.
07:00 AM - Aug 12, 2023
Cynthia Williams
A
thread 2/17
I lived in South Carolina for 5 yrs. During that time, I befriended a white woman...I point out her race for a reason...who hosted an annual party called the, "Anita Hill Party". The party was held on the anniversary date of Anita's 1st day testifying to Congress about Clarence Thomas.
07:03 AM - Aug 12, 2023
Cynthia Williams
A
thread 3/17
The white woman who invited me to the Anita Hill Party was an known reveler in the local community. She wore her skirts high and her tops low. Some of the older women whispered behind her back that she was "a damn radical who didn't know her place."

I loved this woman and called her "friend".
07:07 AM - Aug 12, 2023 (Edited)
Cynthia Williams
A
thread 4/17
My "friend" asked me one day if I wanted to come to her party of the year. I was excited. A party of the year? Who wouldn't want to go to something like that? When I asked her what the party celebration was about, she looked at me very nonchalantly and said,

"We're thanking Anita Hill."

Oh. Okay.
07:13 AM - Aug 12, 2023
Cynthia Williams
A
thread 5/17
I must clarify here. I didn't interpret the phrase "We're thanking Anita Hill." to mean I was going to a party with 300 other women to meet and share drinks with THE Anita Hill.

But that's exactly what happened.

IT BLEW MY MIND.
07:17 AM - Aug 12, 2023
Cynthia Williams
A
thread 6/17
When I met Anita Hill, I was struck by the following,

1. Anita is a very soft-spoken person who is sort of shy, like me.

2. Anita is a very intelligent woman who appears unassuming.

3. Anita is a woman who has the strength of a lioness after what the world has and continues to put her though.
07:22 AM - Aug 12, 2023
Cynthia Williams
A
thread 7/17
The woman who invited me to her party asked me if I wanted a few minutes alone to talk with Ms. Hill. Or Professor Hill, as she is called by people in academia.

I declined.

Then my "friend" said this to me:

"You'll never get another chance like this in your life. I want you to talk with her,"
07:26 AM - Aug 12, 2023
Cynthia Williams
A
thread 8/17
It's here that I must admit, I didn't understand why a WHITE woman would care whether or not I spoke to Anita Hill. Why would a woman of the White race go out of her way to make sure two Black women spent time together chatting?

After talking w/ Ms. Hill, I understood why.

We are kindred spirits.
07:30 AM - Aug 12, 2023
Cynthia Williams
A
thread 9/17
When I was introduced to Anita Hill by my friend, Ms Hill smiled graciously. But her smile also appeared weary to me. We shook hands and then my friend scuttled everyone around Ms. Hill and her male companion away. "Come on everybody! Let's give these two some space! Shoo!"
07:36 AM - Aug 12, 2023 (Edited)
Cynthia Williams
A
thread 10/17
If you've read this far you're probably wondering what I said to and asked if Anita Hill.

I told Anita Hill that I thought she was one of the bravest women in our country and thanked her for stepping forward to speak out about Clarence Thomas. To right a wrong.

Ms. Hill became still.
07:40 AM - Aug 12, 2023
Cynthia Williams
A
thread 11/17
I asked Ms. Hill if she ever regretted doing what she did to step forward and speak about Clarence Thomas. This is what she told me,

"Sometimes a person is asked by the heavens to do the one thing they dread to do. To do something they don't want to do. But the person does it because it's right."
07:45 AM - Aug 12, 2023
Cynthia Williams
A
thread 12/17
Ms. Hill went on to share with me that she still doesn't understand why Clarence Thomas was placed into her life. She preferred being out of the problem situations in her life. She had no desire for notoriety in the public eye. She is a quiet woman who wanted a nice life for herself
07:49 AM - Aug 12, 2023
Cynthia Williams
A
thread 13/17
It's at this point that I shared with Ms. Hill that I had been asked to do things in my life...such as speak out against racist bosses in my corporate career...that had caused me personal pain and unwanted public scrutiny

Ms. Hill leaned forward and said,

"I would love to hear more."
07:54 AM - Aug 12, 2023
Cynthia Williams
A
thread 14/17
It was here that Ms. Hill's male companion walked over to the two of us and said to Ms. Hill that he thought it was time for her to return to the party..

Anita Hill stood up and grabbed my hand.

"Come and visit me in my home some time soon, okay? I want you to know you're not alone."
07:57 AM - Aug 12, 2023 (Edited)
Cynthia Williams
A
thread 15/17
Ms. Hill turned rejoined the rest of the partygoers and the woman who invited me. I looked on as the women encircled Ms. Hill and she disappeared into the crowd. Her male companion turned to me and shook my hand.

"Anita really needed that talk You lifted her spirits. Please visit her."
08:03 AM - Aug 12, 2023
Cynthia Williams
A
thread 16/17
I end this story by telling you that I never forgot that encounter with Ms. Hill. I also never went to her home. I chose not to invade her home with my presence and my silly questions of her. Ms. Hill needed her home to be her sanctuary. I didn't need to affect that in any way.

So when ppl ask...
08:07 AM - Aug 12, 2023
Cynthia Williams
A
thread 17/17
Do you believe that Anita Hill told the TRUTH about Clarence Thomas all those many years ago?

I say and will ALWAYS say,

"I believe Anita Hill."

/end
08:09 AM - Aug 12, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}