Tristan Snell
A
“America is a republic, not a democracy.”

Ok let’s play:

- A republic doesn’t allow leaders to overturn election results when they lose

- A republic doesn’t allow a leader to summon a violent mob to stop the legislature from meeting

- In a republic, no one is above the law
04:47 AM - Aug 13, 2023
CAMfromKville
B
In response to Tristan Snell.
According to Clyburn House “the Constitution establishes a fed. democratic republic form of government. It’s a democracy b/c people govern themselves. It’s representative b/c people choose elected officials by free & secret ballot. It’s a republic b/c Government derives its power from the people.”
06:42 PM - Aug 13, 2023
Benjamin Waterhouse
A
A potato is a starch, not a carb.

(Tristan is totally right, of course, but people who make the "republic not a democracy" argument are not, in fact, serious people.)
03:20 PM - Aug 13, 2023
TheQuietOne
A
If I remember my civics correctly, a republic means the head of state isn't a monarch. So I wouldn't want to trade living in, for instance, The Netherlands (not a republic) for China (a republic). The difference is democracy. I don't think we should argue within their framing because it's wrong.
07:33 AM - Aug 13, 2023
Oliver Tooley
A
Indeed, the word comes, of course from Latin 'res publica' which meant, literally, something like 'the people's thing'.
The idea of one person being above the res publica was unthinkable. That's why they had two consuls.
Although while in office the consuls were effectively above the law.
07:18 AM - Aug 13, 2023
Oliver Tooley
A
In response to Oliver Tooley.
This did result in some awkward situations, the most extreme of which was when Cornelius Sulla simply refused to give up the consulship and instead had all his enemies either murdered or 'proscripted' which left them too impoverished and powerless to do anything.
07:20 AM - Aug 13, 2023
Julie BlueWave
A
This is why you are a favorite follow, Tristan.
You always bring the facts, oh, and the heat 🔥🐳🐳🌊🌊🌊🔥
04:53 AM - Aug 13, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}