Cynthia Williams
A
Did you know that there are paintings in America with paint added to cover up Black Americans in the portraits?

A white American family literally covered over their Black enslaved house servant...and suspected family member...with paint. The painting has been restored to show the young Black man.
‘His Name Was Bélizaire’: Rare Portrait of Enslaved Child Arrives at the Met - YouTube

The Met recently acquired “Bélizaire and the Frey Children,” a 19th-century Louisiana portrait with a secret: For over a 100 years, the image of an enslaved ...

08:27 AM - Aug 16, 2023
Anella Marie
A
In response to Cynthia Williams.
I just don't think white people should be making decisions like this. The white guy in the video?? Mistakes happen. No. Do Better.
03:49 PM - Aug 16, 2023
Cynthia Williams
A
In response to Anella Marie.
Anelia, did you notice the slight smirk on the Museum chief's face when he made the comment?

Thank goodness Jeremy Simien didn't stop his effort to reclaim the painting before it disappeared again.

Here's more info on Jeremy Simien's efforts.
03:58 PM - Aug 16, 2023 (Edited)
Anella Marie
A
Thanks for the link. I'm at work so didn't have a chance to read it until now. I do genealogy research for friends who are from enlsaved ancestors in Alabama so I appreciate all the insights I can find. It's horrible how the racism is just...everywhere. In everthing.
In response to Cynthia Williams.
05:22 PM - Aug 16, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}