Friends of Pine Ridge Reservation
A
Gut wrenching 💔💔

Andaya said he did not regret his decision in response to a reporter’s question. Sirens are used primarily for tsunamis, not for brushfires, he said. The public is trained to seek higher ground when the siren is sounded, he said.
10:46 PM - Aug 16, 2023
Jan Hobbs
A
What was their rationale? (I don’t have time to watch an hour+ long video, sorry)
10:52 PM - Aug 16, 2023
Karen Gold
A
In response to Jan Hobbs.
I live in Hawaii on the Big Island. The warning sirens are only placed near the ocean and are primarily used as tsunami warnings. They tell people to head to higher ground, but that is where the fire was coming from.I live at 1500 feet elevation and we do not have any sirens nearby that we can hear.
12:44 AM - Aug 17, 2023
Jan Hobbs
A
In response to Karen Gold.
Well, hopefully something is learned from this tragedy, and going forward corrections are made.
12:45 AM - Aug 17, 2023
A
The all-hazard siren system can be used for a variety of both natural and human-caused events; including tsunamis, hurricanes, dam breaches, flooding, wildfires, volcanic eruptions, terrorist threats, hazardous material incidents, and more,” the website said.
11:02 PM - Aug 16, 2023
A
Hawaii’s siren system is described as the “largest single integrated public safety outdoor siren warning system in the world,” according to the County of Maui’s outdoor warning siren testing website.
11:02 PM - Aug 16, 2023
Jan Hobbs
A
In response to Friends of Pine Ridge Reservation.
Yes, and so sad that it wasn’t utilized.

I’m sure they’re going to rationalize it away. But in the meantime, there are so many people who won’t see September.
11:03 PM - Aug 16, 2023
A
Had we sounded the siren that night, we were afraid that people would have gone mauka,” he said, adding that people would have headed directly into the flames. Andaya added that there were no sirens located on the mauka or mountainside of Maui where the fires were spreading.
11:00 PM - Aug 16, 2023
Jan Hobbs
A
In response to Friends of Pine Ridge Reservation.
Thank you.

I still think that 100+ people who died what if it least stood a chance of surviving, had the sirens sounded. But then, I have PTSD from living through a fire storm in San Diego County. So I’m not sure I’m a good judge.
11:01 PM - Aug 16, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}