Jennifer Deering
A
Truth: I do not like Joel Osteen. Truth: He makes A LOT of money. Truth: Whatever he is paid as a pastor at Lakewood Church is taxable income. Inconclusive: His church pays him $54 million annually. Truth: If you tax churches, you have to tax all nonprofits and that would hurt a lot of people.
07:24 PM - Feb 20, 2023
Mark Hardwicke
A
In response to Jennifer Deering.
Why? Just rewrite laws to redefine charitable and other nonsectarian beneficial activities as non-taxable. If a religious based entity meets those definitions, don't tax it. Churches and church run businesses that make profits should be taxed
08:19 PM - Feb 20, 2023
Jennifer Deering
A
In response to Mark Hardwicke.
We agree. However, over in "the other place," people think taxing churches is as simple as pie. Pie ain't simple. And neither is overhauling the IRS's nonprofit mess with legislation and policies. Lobbying orgs who claim less than $50k in donations send out national mailings. How?
09:03 PM - Feb 20, 2023
KLov@MildtheMist
A
In response to Jennifer Deering.
Just ridiculous. 54 million to do what? Maybe we all should start a church, then we could take this kind of money and really help people.
07:35 PM - Feb 20, 2023
Jennifer Deering
A
In response to KLov@MildtheMist.
According to Osteen and the church, he doesn't receive a salary. Do I believe them? No. But someone needs to submit an FOIA request to the IRS for that info, and it isn't going to be me because I don't have that kind of time. I'm currently investigating how lobbying orgs prey on the elderly.
08:53 PM - Feb 20, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}