Professor Kyle
A
thread 1/9
Homemade, canned tomato sauce recipe.

Step 1: plant, nurture, and harvest sauce tomatoes (these are Amish paste), peppers, onions, garlic, basil, oregano. Can be done lots of places you might not think – container gardens! Community gardens!
02:30 PM - Aug 18, 2023
Professor Kyle
A
thread 2/9
Step 2:

Blanch the tomatoes to remove the skins. Food process them in batches along with all the other stuff.
03:22 PM - Aug 18, 2023
Professor Kyle
A
thread 3/9
Step 3: Put on some good tunes, like your "Making Sauce" playlist. Actually this should have been step 1, but better late than never...

Excited to add to this playlist with all the songs people suggested on my "good songs about food" prompt!
03:40 PM - Aug 18, 2023
Professor Kyle
A
thread 4/9
Step 4: put all the processed ingredients in a big-ass sauce pan. Add salt & bring to a boil. Reduce to a summer and, well, simmer for a wicked long time stirring occasionally. At least an hour, depending on...how long it takes, and thick you like your sauce.
03:49 PM - Aug 18, 2023 (Edited)
Professor Kyle
A
thread 5/9
Step 5: Like I said, it'll take a while. You're basically just sitting around, but you can't go anywhere because you have to stir occasionally. So it's a good time to have a glass of wine, if you're into that.
03:51 PM - Aug 18, 2023 (Edited)
Professor Kyle
A
thread 6/9
Step 6: Again, lot's of time to kill. Be sure to step out onto the screen porch and note the rain's stopped, the day is fine, and, in the words of Digable Planets, it's good to be here 🎵.¹

1. or the equivalent if you don't have a porch or good weather.
04:00 PM - Aug 18, 2023
Professor Kyle
A
thread 7/9
Step 7: Once the sauce has been stirred occasionally enough & cooked enough for your liking (again, at least an hour; I did this for 1:15), ladle into clean, sterile jars (pints are better than quarts for serving size...).
05:27 PM - Aug 18, 2023 (Edited)
Professor Kyle
A
thread 8/9
Step 8: Forgot to mention: like 20+ minutes ago, put on water to boil in a huge pot, like the kind you have on a wood stove to keep the house humid in winter (they also make pots just for canning...). Put the jars in the boiling water & boil pints 35 minutes (quarts 40, longer at higher altitude).
05:37 PM - Aug 18, 2023
Professor Kyle
A
thread 9/9
Step 9: That's that! Take the jars out with tongs & set them somewhere to cool, then store in your pantry. You'll love when the lids "pop"! Use for pasta, pizza, soup or chili base, risotto, etc. And enjoy this alchemy trick: you can now experience the vibrancy of summer in the depths of winter.
06:10 PM - Aug 18, 2023 (Edited)
Baked At Grammy's
A
Great job! I hope to resume gardening next year. I didn’t eat anything I had growing when we had the fires in 2020 (Northern CA lightening strikes); everything everywhere was covered in ash.
In response to Professor Kyle.
04:34 PM - Aug 18, 2023
Professor Kyle
A
In response to Baked At Grammy's.
Oh no, that's horrible! It's so much fun to grow & cook your own veggies.
04:35 PM - Aug 18, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}