Gary White
A
thread 1/6
I grew up on the gulf coast and lived for several years on an island off the coast of GA. Here's a bit of hurricane advice for those who've never experienced one.

Make sure every lawn chair and other item outside your home is brought inside or put inside a shed. Anything loose becomes a projectile
07:06 PM - Aug 19, 2023 (Edited)
Gary White
A
thread 2/6
that at 100MPH will go through a window or possibly even a wall.

Fill up the bathtub with water and get a bucket or large pot. You can use the water to flush toilets if the water goes out.

Fill any other containers with water for drinking.
07:09 PM - Aug 19, 2023
Gary White
A
thread 3/6
Make sure you have propane for your gas grill. Once the hurricane has passed, you may be without power for several days.

This allows you to cook all the meat that will be thawing out in your freezer so it doesn't spoil. (It's also an opportunity to eat ALL the ice cream)
07:10 PM - Aug 19, 2023
Gary White
A
thread 4/6
Find some candles and matches. A flashlight and extra batteries.

Make sure your cell phone is fully charged as well as your lap top.

Pack a 'bug out' bag with several days clothing and any valuable possessions, passport, etc. If you have to evacuate, you'll want to be ready to go immediately
07:12 PM - Aug 19, 2023
Gary White
A
thread 5/6
If it looks like you'll need to evacuate, do it sooner rather than wait til the last minute. Trust me, you do NOT want to ride out the storm. Emergency personnel will NOT rescue you once the evacuation order is issued. You also do not want to sit on the expressway with hundreds of thousands of
07:14 PM - Aug 19, 2023
Gary White
A
thread 6/6
other people stuck in traffic and running out of gas.

So, fill up your car ASAP before the gas stations run out of gas or lose power and can't pump gas. Put some food and water in the car as well as a few empty containers. You may be thankful to have an empty milk jug to pee in.
07:17 PM - Aug 19, 2023 (Edited)
kim Alexander
A
In response to Gary White.
Yup! We always threw everything into the pool
02:07 PM - Aug 20, 2023
Jennifer Moore Baker
A
In response to Gary White.
I lived in Tisewater, VA for 18 years. This is all very good advice.
01:23 PM - Aug 20, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}